Cap help

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

Hamtone

Cap help

Post by Hamtone »

Where does the axial 100uf cap go? Is it where I circled? Im not doing the work Im just nosing around a bit with my amp. The one I circled (not in this picture) looks like a dried up raisin on the sides. Its funny how quickly an amp can go from being ok with very old caps to uh-oh :lol: When I got this amp in Jan it was ultra quiet, then i noticed some noise then the other day I was like "damn wtf!" so I pulled the chassis out and looked at the caps and they all have fingers hanging out of em now :lol: No biggie just surprised how quick it came on.
Attachments
hwgutshot.JPG
hwgutshot.JPG (95.29 KiB) Viewed 978 times
pet0r

Re: Cap help

Post by pet0r »

That's indeed the 100uf bias cap. You can replace it with an F&T 100uf 100v cap. VHR has them.
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

They all need to be done and I will just get the recap kit. I was pretty sure that was the correct item, especially seeing how these pictures were prior to me buying the amp and after a few months of rocking the house with it, they are all a bit wonky now :lol:
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Alright so i ordered the 16x32 kit. This weekend I was getting some random passive noise. Its as if it would build up and release then go back to hum. I will just continue to believe that its caps :lol: