HI-TONE 2x15?

News and Updates from HI-TONE Amplification
(your friends behind the VintageHiwattConvention forum)

Moderator: Mods

maxschrek

HI-TONE 2x15?

Post by maxschrek »

I'm sure this has benn discussed before, BUT.....any chance of a HI-TONE version of an SE2150 with Eminence Kappalites? Pretty please?
8)

T
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: HI-TONE 2x15?

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

We can do them, but due to the size, weight and limited demand, I don't see them being stocked 24/7.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
riba2233

Post by riba2233 »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:We can do them, but due to the size, weight and limited demand, I don't see them being stocked 24/7.

Cool, maybe I'll contact you if I'll have some money 8)
maxschrek

Post by maxschrek »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:We can do them, but due to the size, weight and limited demand, I don't see them being stocked 24/7.

Understandable, what would you suppose the price point to be on one of these should you do one?
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I'll work on that.
Give me a couple days.

8)

DR-F
MrMojo

Post by MrMojo »

Wow, what a coincidence. I have been asking about the same thing. JPI
Hiwatt - can't stop at just one
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I should hear back from my cabinet guy today.
I have been looking over the driver prices and the Neo Drivers like the Kappa lite 3015 and 3015LF are freaking pricey! Nearly double the price of the Kappa pro version.

We can load any Eminence driver but the price will vary accordingly.

DR-F
MrMojo

Post by MrMojo »

I guess it is the neodymium. The rare earth metals have been jumping in price. China is limiting export and U.S. mines are only just starting to re-open. Inflation is making a come back.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Indeed, they have been increasing the Neo prices every 4-6 weeks.
I will just have to price out 4-5 different options for drivers.

Shipping them will not be trivial.

But they will be kick A$$ cabs!

DR-F
MrMojo

Post by MrMojo »

That's right!
Zells

Post by Zells »

The performace of bass speakers, especially high powered ones like Kappalites and Kappa Pros, is very dependent on cabinet size (internal volume), port size, internal bracing, damping, and other factors...much more than guitar speakers since bass speakers move much more air with greater excursion, i.e. Xmax. The Hylight era 2x15 box as is won't be ideal for these speakers, but perhaps only minor changes would be needed to optimize performance. I'm sure the folks at Eminence could advise in such matters.

Also, the 'LF' versions of the Kappalite and Kappa Pro were designed to be used with a frequency crossover and mid-driver(s). Without that, you get all lows and low-mids but no mids or upper mids.

Dr.HIWATT has an old Hylight 2x15 loaded with a pair of (I think) Kappa-Pro LF2 speakers in parallel. The cab sounds good with bass, but those speakers get too flappy too fast. Of course, part of that is due to the extreme low end frequencies passing through the Partridge transformers particularly with the 'bass' knob turned clockwise. Personally, I get around this issue (when playing bass through a Hiwatt DR405) by using a 10-band EQ pedal to cut the lowest lows and boost the low-mids. I am currently using a pair of Avatar TB153 15/6/1 cabs with 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF sub + 6" Eminence mid + tweeter. Kappalites are awesome in a properly designed box.

I don't want to discourage HITONE from offering the 2x15 or other bass cabs, but these are important factors to consider in the process.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Zells wrote: I don't want to discourage HITONE from offering the 2x15 or other bass cabs, but these are important factors to consider in the process.
Good points, Zells.

I'd like to think accommodations could be made within the traditional 2x15 cabinet dimensions (and speaker selections) to address those issues.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
MrMojo

Post by MrMojo »

I am sure you guys can pull it off. Looking forward to the results.
maxschrek

Post by maxschrek »

Zells wrote:The performace of bass speakers, especially high powered ones like Kappalites and Kappa Pros, is very dependent on cabinet size (internal volume), port size, internal bracing, damping, and other factors...much more than guitar speakers since bass speakers move much more air with greater excursion, i.e. Xmax. The Hylight era 2x15 box as is won't be ideal for these speakers, but perhaps only minor changes would be needed to optimize performance. I'm sure the folks at Eminence could advise in such matters.

Also, the 'LF' versions of the Kappalite and Kappa Pro were designed to be used with a frequency crossover and mid-driver(s). Without that, you get all lows and low-mids but no mids or upper mids.

Dr.HIWATT has an old Hylight 2x15 loaded with a pair of (I think) Kappa-Pro LF2 speakers in parallel. The cab sounds good with bass, but those speakers get too flappy too fast. Of course, part of that is due to the extreme low end frequencies passing through the Partridge transformers particularly with the 'bass' knob turned clockwise. Personally, I get around this issue (when playing bass through a Hiwatt DR405) by using a 10-band EQ pedal to cut the lowest lows and boost the low-mids. I am currently using a pair of Avatar TB153 15/6/1 cabs with 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF sub + 6" Eminence mid + tweeter. Kappalites are awesome in a properly designed box.

I don't want to discourage HITONE from offering the 2x15 or other bass cabs, but these are important factors to consider in the process.

You are absolutely correct, Zells. I only thought of this after my initial post. Also, after some thought I decided that such a speaker may sound too HiFi for this sort of application anyway...drivers a little more old school may be more appropriate, at least for me at any rate.
MrMojo

Post by MrMojo »

Just a little guidance from the '74 catalog from Prof. Huss' site.

http://hiwatt.org/info/hiwattCatalogPages.pdf

Check out the price list -- serious money back then.