A ridiculous question about volume

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

Hamtone

A ridiculous question about volume

Post by Hamtone »

I have a vhr 2x12 and now I really want a 4x12 but occurred to me that there would be a substantial boost in volume, or is this a myth? For example in my practice room with my 103 Im running the pre's at about 2 oclock and the master at about 11 oclock, then my pedals are running just slightly above unity. This is loud in my room (about 8x10) and I usually step out into the hallway to play :lol: I want more focused low end and an overall bigger sound so 4x12 is my choice and I do play out doors on occasion where I may not be mic'd up.

So how much difference in perceived volume from the 2x12-4x12?
OldSchoolDave

Re: A ridiculous question about volume

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Hamtone wrote:I have a vhr 2x12 and now I really want a 4x12 but occurred to me that there would be a substantial boost in volume, or is this a myth?
It's not a myth. The more air motors pumping, the higher the SPL.

How loud it seems will depend on the listener's axis and what frequencies are being played at the time. There's a coupling effect, which adds low end to (most) 4x12's. If I had to pull a number out of the blue, I'd say a 4x12 would be about 3db louder than a 2x12 with the same model of speakers. In other words, it'll be noticeable but, probably, not overbearing.

Scientific responses will override this information ;) .

Dave

EDIT: P.S. For the record, the HI-TONE 2x12 cab you own sounds bigger than most. The low end increase of a 4x12 may not be as noticeable. But, the amount of air pushed will be :twisted: .
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Zells

Post by Zells »

A pair of 2x12 cabs stacked vertically would be louder over a larger area in front of the cabs compared to a 4x12. The 4x12 has speakers side by side, so there is more comb filtering and some nodal cancellation of the mids at certain frequencies; hence, the volume is most concentrated directly in front of the cab with poor horizontal distribution of sound.
Dad3353

Post by Dad3353 »

Hamtone wrote:...So how much difference in perceived volume from the 2x12-4x12?
Good evening, Hamtone...
There is a perceptable difference between 2 and 4 x12; at the volume that you're playing, may I suggest that this perception will not last long. The next step is a need for a full stack, then Townshend-type backlines; the ultimate becomes 'Lemmy' level, and a 40-ton truck to carry it all.
Hearing loss is irreversible and certain. I'm sure that I'm not the one on this forum to know first-hand what this entails, plus the permanent ringing (tinitus...) in the ears. Please use adequate protection when playing at high volume; yes, I know, it's a pain in the ****, but those that neglected this (or were unaware...), now regret not having listened whilst we still had ears.
I don't want to sound kill-joy; hope this helps...
Have a good day.

Dad3353 (Douglas...)
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

I dont play long at these levels in my house and in the studio i have some isolating monitors that are about as numbing as the ones i shoot with. Im mostly looking to expand my sound make it biger. My ultimate goa would be 2 103's one tbrough the 4 and the other through the 2 but that is a ways off.