Are all Hiwatt cabs ported?

HIWATT Cabinets and Speakers from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

shakti

Re: Are all Hiwatt cabs ported?

Post by shakti »

I don't think so - the piping channels are placed differently from typical Sound City cabs, at least the ones I've seen.
shakti

Post by shakti »

Just had another look at the photo. The cabs also appear to have typical Hiwatt serial # badges on the rear. I've never seen the same type of badge on a Sound City cab, so I think it's safe to assume that those were "proper" Hiwatt cabs. However, apart from the placing of the piping channels, it appears to be all but identical to a '69 era Sound City cab. Townshend is reported as using the 17000 gauss 50W Fanes, at least around this time. Had the 14000 gauss model even come out at this point?
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

shakti wrote: Had the 14000 gauss model even come out at this point?
Excellent question.

Fane did make a 14,000 gauss model for Hylight Electronics under the 122141 model number. But, those were the ill-fated 22 watt versions that suffered early demises under HIWATT power.

The now classic 122231 model came into existence in mid-1971.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
shakti

Post by shakti »

OldSchoolDave wrote: The now classic 122231 model came into existence in mid-1971.
That's cool to know...especially as I'm working on securing a late-71 SE4123 with 122231s...stay tuned. 8)
Kodou

Post by Kodou »

Yep my SE4129 is rear ported along the bottom.

It played havoc with my sound until I realised as I had it sitting against a concerete wall. The acoustics were weird until I moved it away a little.
shakti

Post by shakti »

Just a little update: just spoke to a guy who has what appears to be a '69 or so Hiwatt 4x12 (empty). It has been retolexed and re-grilled, but has its original metal Hiwatt badge. It's being sold as a 1971, but the features (thin edge on the front, metal badge, non-painted interior) has me thinking it's more likely a '69. It is entirely closed, no port either at the bottom or top of the rear panel.

I'm tempted, but it's a little expensive for an empty cab, particularly one which has been retolexed and regrilled (albeit a fine job, by the looks of it).
whojamfan

Post by whojamfan »

Are the back panels of the rear loaded 4x12s and 2x12s MDF with 17"x 1/2" bottom port on the 4x12s and an 8 1/2" x1/2" bottom port on the 2x12s?
I was under the impression they were 13ply Baltic Birch like the rest of the cabinet, but recently read something about them being MDF to deaden the sound behind the speaker forcing the sound out of the bottom port.
Thoughts on this? Very little out there on the rear ports and back panel material.
We make noise, it's our choice,
it's what we wanna do
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

whojamfan wrote: I was under the impression they were 13ply Baltic Birch like the rest of the cabinet...
If we are talking strictly vintage Hylight HIWATTs:

1) Back panels were 1" MDF with bottom slot.

2) There were no 2x12" speaker cabs in the original HIWATT lineup.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
whojamfan

Post by whojamfan »

Ok-good to know-when did the 2x12s become available? Was that Biacrown or Sterling imports-or? Just curious.
We make noise, it's our choice,
it's what we wanna do
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

sterling imports made the first 2x12.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F