Sound City Custom 100

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

Philrob1

Sound City Custom 100

Post by Philrob1 »

Hiya folks

Just picked up this Sound City Custom 100

I exchanged my ChiWatt T40 and £150 for it - Partridge Transformers and some Mullard tubes in the preamp - I believe the G Code dates it to 1969? What can you tell me about this amp and it's originality?

I also have a hiss that becomes noticeable when turning up the treble and/or presence - any way to deal with this? Cheers

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Sound City Custom 100

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

early 1969 post Dave Reeves SC MKIII
looks mostly original.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

Hi Dr Hi Tone

Thanks for moving it to the correct section!

How similar to a DR103 would you say it is? What modern production tubes are closest to Mullard EL34s? Thanks!
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

unfortunately it isn't very much like a HIWATT, but if you like it then that is great!
=C='s were really good but they have stopped production of them and most of them still available are not as high quality as they were a few years ago.

I have been using TAD EL34 STR lately and I am really happy with them.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

Dr.HI-TONE wrote:unfortunately it isn't very much like a HIWATT, but if you like it then that is great!
=C='s were really good but they have stopped production of them and most of them still available are not as high quality as they were a few years ago.

I have been using TAD EL34 STR lately and I am really happy with them.
Yeh coming up from a Hiwatt T40 its a huge improvement. At the annual DGGF Barn Jam we will have a 1972 Hylight Hiwatt so there's going to be a lot of comparisons for me.

I put a Mullard CV 12AT7 into the V1 and the "fizziness" seems to have all but gone. Spoke to a good mate of mine this morning who advised me on caps to change and other various bits and pieces.

I have also ordered some TAD EL34STR valves also - thanks for the recommendation
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

Update on this amp too

Took it to Chandlers Guitar Experience for a recap and for Tim to install a input bypass point - thus essentially making this into a slave amplifier for one of my cabinets. The Preamp is an Alembic F2b feeding this SC and my STA200.

We biased it for 50 watts and I went for a matched pair of Svetlana =C=s however compared to the STA200, even running half power, the MV has to be about 3/4 of the way up to match the volume on the Hiwatt. I think I will go for a matched quad of Svets to bring them both to 100W.

Plugging directly before the Prescence and the amp is SILENT - I cannot tell they are on until I play something.

This amp is feeding my Crescendos and the STA is powering the Hiwatt Purples. Could NOT be happier with the tones I am getting now
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

having heard some clips courtesy of my dad, I can say it sounds more Hiwattish then I expected from comments here, but more Pete than David. great in combination with Philrobs Alembic and Hiwatt head into my old fanes and Phils 15 inch Crescendos