SAP Schematics

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

donahue

SAP Schematics

Post by donahue »

I'm being told that the SAP schematics on Hiwatt.org are not accurate? I sent them off to have a preamp built but am now reading and being told they aren't anything like the 200 watt SAP? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
OldSchoolDave

Re: SAP Schematics

Post by OldSchoolDave »

donahue wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:49 am I'm being told that the SAP schematics on Hiwatt.org are not accurate?
I couldn't verify a schematic to save my life, but I have confidence in what mark has posted on hiwatt.org. Where is your information coming from?

regards,
Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
donahue

Post by donahue »

I'm too new on here to stir the pot too much. So at this time I won't say. I just wanted to know if anyone has worked off the schematics and what they think of them as far as accuracy. Regardless, I trust them too, and am fully moving forward with the preamp build. I'll let my ears decide whether the end result is good or not.
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

There are different versions of the SAP, the one on Hiwatt.org is just one version. So it's right or wrong, depending on what you're comparing it to. :D

For example, the SAP made by HI-TONE is different and based on an early 3-digit serial number unit.
donahue

Post by donahue »

mhuss wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm For example, the SAP made by HI-TONE is different and based on an early 3-digit serial number unit.
Thanks. I understand but how much different is it? Like night and day difference or slight difference? They couldn't be too much different or they wouldn't be called the same thing, right?

I just want a nice sounding and accurate SAP preamp to run into my STA-200. I'd love to own a HI-Tone SAP, and probably will some day, but since I already own the STA, for now I just need an SAP front end.
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Most or all of the 3-digit Hiwatts are very different (more Marshall-like tone stack, for example), but they're still called, e.g., DR103.