Need help identifying vintage Fane with metal dust cap.

The Holy Grail of Speakers, when powered by vintage Hylight Hiwatt amps!

Moderator: Mods

Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

Need help identifying vintage Fane with metal dust cap.

Post by Hiwatts-n-Gibsons »

Screenshot_20240621_222248_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240621_222248_Photos.jpg (260.68 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Hi, I am trying to.identify a speaker that was mounted in a vintage SE4x12 I purchased. 3 of the speakers are vintage purple label Fanes, but the fourth while obviously a Fane is different. It is built on the same exact cast frame but has a Blue label.and a metal duatcap instead of cloth. It's in the bottom left corner of the cabinet pictured here.
mhuss
Site Admin

Re: Need help identifying vintage Fane with metal dust cap.

Post by mhuss »

The model number and date code should be written on the red label near the speaker terminals. See the bottom of this page (https://hiwatt.org/dates.html) for details. The aluminum dust cap likely means 1980-ish vintage.

I'm not sure if it's just the picture, but the other three appears to have different cones (smooth vs. ribbed, different colors), and one or more may have been reconed at some point.
Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

mhuss wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:27 pm The model number and date code should be written on the red label near the speaker terminals. See the bottom of this page (https://hiwatt.org/dates.html) for details. The aluminum dust cap likely means 1980-ish vintage.

I'm not sure if it's just the picture, but the other three appears to have different cones (smooth vs. ribbed, different colors), and one or more may have been reconed at some point.
Thank you for the help. The bottom right cone is ribbed, just hard to see the ribs because of light and angle, and I guess I'll need to pop the back off again to verify the cone codes. Considering how much better shape the top right speaker is in general it is possible it was a NOS speaker someone replaced the original with.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

the blue label is the standard fane label, they put on dozens of different speakers.
the cast frame was used on dozens of different speakers as well.

Fane made speakers for anyone and everyone. if you have the model number, I can probably tell you who it was made for.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

Dr.HI-TONE wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:07 am the blue label is the standard fane label, they put on dozens of different speakers.
the cast frame was used on dozens of different speakers as well.

Fane made speakers for anyone and everyone. if you have the model number, I can probably tell you who it was made for.
Screenshot_20240824_210013_Reverb.jpg
Screenshot_20240824_210013_Reverb.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 377 times
I think it says 122/17G, but it may be 177/17G. It's hard to make out.

Also there is s "D" added at the end in blue pen, so not sure if it is part of the model number or not.

Thank you for the help.