50 watt warmer then a 100 watter ?

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

louis

50 watt warmer then a 100 watter ?

Post by louis »

Hi everyone ,
I`ve had once a 1977 Custom 50 that I`ve lost over time ,and now I`m looking for a DR 100 watt .
My question is , are poeple gonna get crazy over 50 watts one day as they get over 50 Marshalls for there creamy sweet sound or a Hiwatt
is a different ball game ?

Can a 100 watt get as warm as a 50 watt ?

Thank`s!...........................Louis :roll:
OldSchoolDave

Re: 50 watt warmer then a 100 watter ?

Post by OldSchoolDave »

louis wrote:Can a 100 watt get as warm as a 50 watt ?
A DR504 and DR103 from the same era share the same preamp. Only the power section is different. A 100 watter has more headroom. Other than that, the tone - at least to my aging ears - is essentially the same. But, logic and facts rarely overpower hype, so I won't venture a guess as to what will happen in the future :? .

DR504's have generally sold for more than DR103's for awhile now. Not thousands more, but more.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Anybody compared a DR-504 and a DR-103 with (2) power valves pulled?
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Actually, the preamp as well as the power supply topology and filtering are identical on same-period DR504 and DR103s. The only major difference is the larger transformers on a 103 (plus two more EL34s). A 103 with two tubes pulled will sound almost identical to a 504 at moderate levels, but when cranked, the 504 will be 'bending the iron' a bit more, and so will sound a bit meaner. :twisted:

Contrast this with the Marshall 1987 (50) and 1959 (100) amps, same preamp but very different power supplies.

--mark
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

This sounds like a good recording activity for next years Convention!
We can pick out nearly identical DR504 and DR103's and run the gauntlet with them.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
GigawattCustom121

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

Last edited by GigawattCustom121 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

GigawattCustom121 wrote:I don't think of the word "warm" to describe my amp, because to me "warm" means dark or mushy. I'd use the words "fat" and "cutting."

To quote the late Ted Weber, the sound can only be described as "Hiwatt-grouchy." 8)
Yes, grouchy, fat, THICK, and cutting... in a sweet velvet sledgehammer-ish kind of way. :D
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Actually, I find the 100 watt a bit warmer to the touch -- because it has two more big tubes. :lol:

--mark
louis

Post by louis »

Thank's everyone !

Now I understand that a Hiwatt is a total different beast!!! :twisted:
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

mhuss wrote:Actually, I find the 100 watt a bit warmer to the touch -- because it has two more big tubes. :lol:
--mark
Yes LOL ...
...one can only imagine then the warmth of six KT88's eh?
... or would it be the warm sensation of blood running down your ear lobes?
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

'bending the iron' a bit more
Mark ... what is happening when you are bending the iron ? Is there a way to describe it in a way the we less sophisticated folk might understand?

Are the tanny's just running hotter and affecting the character of the output signal .... less fidelity and more grouchy?

j
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

All transformers have target ratings when they are designed, and these ratings include the amount of flux (magnetic lines of force) you can cram into the core. Flux is how energy gets from the primary to the secondary. This is why higher power transformers are bigger and heavier, not just because of the thicker winding wire needed for higher currents, but also due to the bigger cores needed to handle more flux.

As the transformer approaches and exceeds the max flux density, the core saturates (i.e., no more flux can be pushed through it), and the signal passing it through it starts to get distorted as a result. This distortion is similar to clipping in a tube, but sounds a bit different, and is part of what gives a non-master distorted guitar amp its sound.

When you crank a 50 watt amp. OT core saturation is part of the sound. When you crank a 100 watt amp with only two tubes, the tubes are clipping, but the OT core never saturates. This gives the sound a slightly different character. It still sounds good IMO, but it is a bit different.

---mark