'71/'72 SE4122

HIWATT Cabinets and Speakers from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

mikhailwatt

'71/'72 SE4122

Post by mikhailwatt »

From across the Pond:

Sadly, the s/n tag is long-gone, along with half the back screws and a chunk of the lower batten. But the Fane date codes are clear and matching. :D
Sounds just right moving air alongside its mongrel 122231-loaded brother. :D :D

And apparently I can play "6 Degrees of Led Zeppelin" with this one... Led Zeppelin/John Bonham/Jason Bonham/recorded with "Virginia Wolf"... :lol:
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing
OldSchoolDave

Re: '71/'72 SE4122

Post by OldSchoolDave »

VERY NICE :mrgreen: !

Fanes manufactured between Christmas and New Years of 1971 - cool.

If you don't mind me asking, did you find a reasonable shipper for that?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

OldSchoolDave wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did you find a reasonable shipper for that?
The seller shipped it via DHL (bubble wrapped, double-boxed) for £145, which seemed fairly reasonable compared to the other services I've checked.

At least it arrived unscathed. 8)

BTW - that quad of '142s makes the cab a bit heavier than the '231-loaded cab. :shock: Makes me appreciate my hand truck even more.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Awesome!
the drivers look perfect!
That seems like a very good shipping fee!

8)
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

mikhailwatt wrote: The seller shipped it via DHL (bubble wrapped, double-boxed) for £145, which seemed fairly reasonable compared to the other services I've checked.
Agreed. The last time I pursued a cab across the pond, most were asking around $500 US for transport :shock: . Maybe it's the web gadgets that only offer superduper delivery. I'd have been happy with slow boat service, but couldn't find anyone offering that option.
mikhailwatt wrote:BTW - that quad of '142s makes the cab a bit heavier than the '231-loaded cab.
Oh, yeah! There's a noticeable difference in weight between the 14,000 and 17,000 gauss magnets.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

OldSchoolDave wrote:I'd have been happy with slow boat service, but couldn't find anyone offering that option.
Shipped from Manchester via DHL Air Express on a Monday, arrived out here in the sticks that Thursday. 8)
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

From across the Pond:
M .... i remember seeing that one for sale ... and glad to hear the shipping costs didn't break your b's

Too bad about the hole in the grill cloth, but maybe a bit of careful tailoring can set it right ... e.g. taking off the grill cloth, stretching and rejoining the threads that have been disrupted .... Now don't you purists get on me about restoration ... great paintings also get the same treatment, as do caps in Hiwatts ...

j
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

jcmh1 wrote:Too bad about the hole in the grill cloth
Nah, she's beautiful just the way she is... (sniff, sniff) :cry: :wink:
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

beautiful just the way she is.
no prob with that ... my 84 VW diesel Jetta i feel the same way about ... a few warts on the outside, (the weather/salt here is more brutal than your neighbourhood) .. but it's still hanging in there ... only about 400 thousand Km to go to hit a million

This raised an interesting question ... at some point, I imagine that the original grill cloth on many of these old HW's will just start breaking up. I had a similar thing happen on my Gibson L5 ... early 50's ( I think ... as Gibson couldn't pin it down)

While it was sitting in it's case, the riser/saddle under one of the P-90's just fell apart ... disintegrated ... someday, I think the same thing will start happening to grill cloth ... what to do ? I don't know, but something to think about. My L5 spent probably 80% of it's time in the case since I bought it around 1970. ... e.g. not a lot of sun/light exposure .... HW grill cloth probably won't last that long ... on some of the older speaker cabs, the breakup could start happening at modest volumes

j