Fane/sound

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

polifemo

Fane/sound

Post by polifemo »

How would you describe the sound of Fane spearkers compared to, lets say: Celestion V30s?
(I´m using the V30´s as an example as most people are familiar with their sound)

I´m using Celestion Cenurys (Neo magnets) together with an amp similar to a Hiwatt and it´s hard to get a warm sound out of them...
With other amps (lower wattage/more compression) they´ve been just fine.
V30´s have a softer high end but a more pronunced high midrange.

Are the Fanes "dark sounding" speakers?

(I´ve sometimes seen them described as beeing "full range-speakers", but I do not need anything with too much high end right now)

Thanks.
Last edited by polifemo on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldSchoolDave

Re: Fane/sound

Post by OldSchoolDave »

The Fane Sound can mean different things to different people. And, as we learned in the Speaker Shootouts at the 2007 & 2008 Vintage Hiwatt Conventions, even the Fane models themselves have different tones.

To me, a good vintage Fane has all the woodiness of a Celestion Greenback, but with more fullness and chime. They do not break up as easily, providing a lot of articulation. Oh, and LOTS of punch!

I've never been a huge V30 fan, so I can't speak directly to that comparison (even though the V30 is just supposed to be a higher powered Greenback :? ).

That's my take. As I said, it's in the ear of the beholder...

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
JR

Post by JR »

My Fanes sound a bit darker than a greenback. I have a '77 Marshall cab with blackbacks that is the ultimate "go to bottom. My '78 Hiwatt bottom has incredible low end and and sounds darker unitl the volume gets up there, then the high end comes out. The do have less breakup. I don't have vinatge 30's but have alot of Celestions and scumbacks. I always seem to use the blackbacks or the Fanes.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

JR wrote:I always seem to use the blackbacks or the Fanes.
Just curious: Do your blackbacks have 55Hz or 75Hz cones?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com