WANTED - Reeves Vintage Purple Speakers

List your HIWATT / Fane equipment here. BUYER BEWARE! This site does not investigate / moderate / warranty any gear deals.

Moderator: Mods

frails

WANTED - Reeves Vintage Purple Speakers

Post by frails »

I know, I know....who DOESN'T want to get their hands on these. But I have to ask...if anyone is selling or looking to trade these killer speakers, please let me know. I have two and very badly want two more for another cab I have coming. Grazzii!
frails

Re: WANTED - Reeves Vintage Purple Speakers

Post by frails »

Bump. Maybe I'll have to check out the new Fane Reissue offerings when they come out instead. Unless someone wants to sell some VP's to me (dangles keys in front of eyes).
louis

Post by louis »

Hey Frails ! maybe you should want to wait for the new Fanes ,they look promasing!
This below is from a North American Distributor of Fane Guitar Speakers named Tonic Amps.
Let us know what you decide!...............Louis :wink:
.....................................................................................................................................
Tonic Amps,

It looks like were are now set for a spring 2010 launch for the vintage spec series speakers. We are making sure that we get it right, and that takes time.
It appears as though we will be doing the Purple in 2 versions based upon the 122142 and 122231 models. This should keep both camps happy.

These are reissues and not clones. Fane has been prominent in the pro audio arena ExUS for many years while their guitar line dwindled under numerous owners during the eighties. Fane is back, now under the ownership of Arthur Barnes, who started at Fane in the 60s. They have re-hired the folks who were involved in the design and manufacturing of these vintage gems to ensure things are done correctly.

Anyway, the reissues will be using the exact same cast aluminum frames as were used historically, the same cones, magnet materials, design, etc. and will be as accurate to the originals as you can possibly get today. Even the Purple Hiwatt labels will be vintage accurate.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

"Even the Purple Hiwatt labels will be vintage correct"

Smells like MG involvement............That is an incredible disappointment.

The ten foot pole rule applies for me.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
louis

Post by louis »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:"Even the Purple Hiwatt labels will be vintage correct"

Smells like MG involvement............That is an incredible disappointment.

The ten foot pole rule applies for me.

Are you serious ! Who can we trust then ? I thought that Fane were serious about real accurate quality!
Was'nt there a thread here about gauging interest for there products not long ago from Fane owners or I'm not quite sure who it was ? :roll:
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

how can Fane use HIWATT stickers without some involvement by the people that claim to own the HIWATT name?

Sorry to derail your thread Frails.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
louis

Post by louis »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:how can Fane use HIWATT stickers without some involvement by the people that claim to own the HIWATT name?

Well I must say that is a real disappointment !! Shame!! :shock:
frails

Post by frails »

No worries, there's no such thing as bad forum traffic! I have to say that I really would prefer the Reeves VP's since I know what I am getting with them, and I'm more than pleased. I tried the Weber Thames ceramics after reading a bunch of hoopla and they can't hold a candle to the VP's IMO. That's coming from an overall tone perspective, not necessarily from a "exact replication of blah blah blah" perspective. The VP's have absolutely killed with my Orange, Hiwatt, Sound City, Marshall JCM 900 and Plexi setups. That's overall dominance in my book. Only the Eminence Super V12's have come close so far of all the speakers I've tried.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Tonic Amps wrote: Anyway, the reissues will be using the exact same cast aluminum frames as were used historically, the same cones, magnet materials, design, etc. and will be as accurate to the originals as you can possibly get today.
Didn't realize "the same cones" were still available... :?: . If so, I'd like to buy a few to revive some vintage drivers. And, a few more to keep as spares.

I do wish Fane luck in this venture and agree that their Sound Reinforcement products are held in high regard. But, the trick, as I see it, has been to approximate original materials and construction. It's a bit of hyperbole to claim identical materials will be utilized.

And, good point about the Hiwatt labels. One would think they'd have to pay royalties to use that name.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

How important is it really that they have Hiwatt labels? Makes me think of all the wonderfull Mullard valves I've bought over the years with and without the Mullard name ... the label makes no difference to the ears only the eyes.
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Bossco wrote:How important is it really that they have Hiwatt labels? Makes me think of all the wonderfull Mullard valves I've bought over the years with and without the Mullard name ... the label makes no difference to the ears only the eyes.
Fane must feel it's important to the reissues. I agree with you, the speakers will have to stand on their own merits.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com