New to Hiwatt

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

jrsdws

New to Hiwatt

Post by jrsdws »

Hi all. First time Hiwatt owner here...bought a DR504 Hylight Hiwatt with manufacture date of June 1980. It appears to be one of the very first PCB board models and is in like new condition. I just got it back from my amp tech (made it through the huge urge to play it after it arrived and went straight to tech first) and it has a clean bill of health and sounds amazing. The amp came with all original Mullards tubes with the exception of one of the pre-amps. We pulled the Mullard power tubes and replaced them with Rubys. The Mullards are safely wrapped up and stored away. She also has the original Partridge transformers. I am considering changing the pre-amp tubes also...saving the Mullards there...perhaps looking for something that might provide a little more gain...for a little earlier breakup. Any ideas?

Here are a few pictures:
352437808_o.jpg
352437808_o.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
352437944_o.jpg
352437944_o.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
352438884_o.jpg
352438884_o.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
352438008_o.jpg
352438008_o.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
OldSchoolDave

Re: New to Hiwatt

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome to the Vintage Hiwatt Convention Forum and congrats on your new acquisition!

Looks like a clean machine! If you want more gain, maybe try a Brimar ECC83 in the V1 socket (the one all by itself)? I've also had good results from MESA 12SP7 ("special" 12AX7 - based on performance, not necessarily actual manufacturer) in that slot.

Also, see what value is currently in the Phase Inverter socket (middle of the group of three). If it's an ECC81/12AT7 and you want more growl, switch to an ECC83/12AX7.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome to The Vintage HIWATT Forum!

I almost snagged that amp. That is a great amp at a great price!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
jrsdws

Post by jrsdws »

Thank you for both the welcome and the suggestions. It just so happens that the one preamp tube that has been changed is in the V1 socket. It currently has a Groove Tube in it. Is it safe to assume I could run any 12AX7 tubes across all four preamp sockets...mixing and matching to taste?
louis

Post by louis »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
If you want more gain, maybe try a Brimar ECC83 in the V1 socket

Dave
Dave!.....just by curiosity , why a Brimar ? can a Tungsram or Amperex work fine for more gain
or the Brimar as something special that the others dont ?

Louis
jrsdws

Post by jrsdws »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:Welcome to The Vintage HIWATT Forum!

I almost snagged that amp. That is a great amp at a great price!
Thank you!!! Especially for not bidding on my amp..LOL

I am considering the purchase of a Hiwatt 4x12 cab from the same guy now. He thinks it is from the same era as my amp and states that the two together were just incredible. Unfortunately I don't know anything about these cabs or the maroon labeled Fanes. He is going to research the manufacture date and the speakers this weekend and let me know what he has.

Our Orange 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's just didn't do this amp justice.....we also have an old beat up Marshall 8412....sounds better than the Orange but still not getting it. Perhaps with a tube change in the preamps the Vintage 30's will sound better?
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

jrsdws wrote:Perhaps with a tube change in the preamps the Vintage 30's will sound better?
Dunno about that. V30's are o.k., but not ideal with Hiwatts.

If you can get a good deal on a vintage Fane-loaded Hiwatt cab - go for it. You'll never regret it. If you decide to pass, let the rest of know ;) .

FYI, Fane date codes are almost always stamped on either the frame "spoke" or on a sticker applied to same. A few examples were date-stamped on the gasket (but, I've never seen a Hiwatt Fane so stamped).

Let us know what you discover.

As far as preamp tubes go, yes, you can mix and match any combination of 12AX7's. Those of us who prefer a bit more headroom opt for an ECC81/12AT7 in the PI socket. V1 will make the most impact on tone. Put your best 12AX7 there first.

Dave

OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

louis wrote: Dave!.....just by curiosity , why a Brimar ? can a Tungsram or Amperex work fine for more gain
or the Brimar as something special that the others dont ?
Simply a matter of personal experience / preference, Louis.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the others you mentioned. Just that I've found Brimars to have a certain "edge" to them. One notch more snarl than a Mullard (which is jrsdws' baseline), IMHO.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

Dave

louis

Post by louis »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
Simply a matter of personal experience / preference, Louis.

Dave

Wow!!......they go for $100 and more each !! :shock:

Well,...I guess the wife's gonna have to wait for her creams !! :lol:

Louis
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

louis wrote: Wow!!......they go for $100 and more each !! :shock:
Been awhile since I bought one, but I've never paid near that much for a Brimar - nor would I now. Maybe the audiophiles have adopted them as their latest craze?

In light of the above, forget about Brimars until they fall out of favor and are relegated to we "riff-raff" who use tube guitar amps.

Dave

louis

Post by louis »

Thank's Dave ,I'll go easy on the dollars and probably ask Terry Kilgore (Tube Tramp )
if he's got one in good shape at a good price!

And jrsdws !....buy that cab cause you'll kick your butt for the next couple of years
for not buying it !!...and if you dont....like Dave said .......let me know !.....or did he say let us know!! :lol:

Louis
jrsdws

Post by jrsdws »

The kid had some time to run the Hiwatt through it's paces with some pedals this morning. We really liked the Barber Direct Drive in front...it provides a nice break-up and punch at lower volumes without making things muddy. The Big Muff Pi runs well in front also...just the basic fuzz of course but the amp takes it really well.

Here is a pic of the Hiwatt cab the guy is researching that I might purchase. That is my head on the right...and that is the cab he will sell me on the right as well.
HiwattGroup1[1].jpg
HiwattGroup1[1].jpg (87.59 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Very nice. 8)

--mark
louis

Post by louis »

This cab is exactly what I have , Hylight SE4122 Serial *9041
The grill is like a nylon cloth and the dust caps are light grey cloth.
I'm looking for one to match the cab that I have so if any of you wants to
sell his one day , please let me know !......I'm not in a rush.

Louis :)
jrsdws

Post by jrsdws »

Here are a few pictures...does this help anybody identify manufacture and quality of speaker cab? They appear to be cast iron speakers by the pictures.
HiWattSpeakerDetail2[1].jpg
HiWattSpeakerDetail2[1].jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
HiWattSpeakerDetail3[1].jpg
HiWattSpeakerDetail3[1].jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
HiWattSpeakerDetail1[1].jpg
HiWattSpeakerDetail1[1].jpg (103.57 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
HiWattSpeakerDetail5[1].jpg
HiWattSpeakerDetail5[1].jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 2542 times