unusual cabinet with crescendos

The Holy Grail of Speakers, when powered by vintage Hylight Hiwatt amps!

Moderator: Mods

eyeprod

unusual cabinet with crescendos

Post by eyeprod »

Hi all, first post here. I found this place while researching these Fane speakers I have aquired.

I can't find any info at all on the cabinet, which is a 2x12 open back wood with fiberglass outer layer. It's heavy and big! Sounds great too, big surprise... heh, I knew these were valuable speakers so I went ahead and handed over the sellers asking price of $250. This thing was clearly made well and it even has it's own cast aluminum badge and handles with a RAM logo. Never heard of them, and still have not.

Anyway, the speakers are 122326 models in great shape. Impressive sound when used with my Ampeg v4, and other amps I own such as an Acoustic 140, !blasphemy! Coliseum Lead, and my bassists mesa 400+ along with a 2x15 also works well considering it's an open back cab. I love this cabinet, and I think the speakers are a big part of that. Just thought I'd share my good fortune. Anyone have any ideas on this cabinet? Where it was made, who used them, etc??

<br>
louis

Re: unusual cabinet with crescendos

Post by louis »

Hey you lucky guy!!

You should call yourself eyeproud instead of eyeprod !! :lol:

Congrats!!...........Louis
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome to the VintageHiwattConvention forum!

I am not familiar with RAM cabinets. Perhaps they were a regional player? Still, having custom handles cast suggests they made more than a handful of units. The construction reminds me of Sound Reinforcement use - with the exception of the open back :?: .

At any rate, I'd say you scored!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
GigawattCustom121

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

eyeprod wrote: heh, I knew these were valuable speakers so I went ahead and handed over the sellers asking price of $250.
That's one heck of a good deal. Well done! And congrats!
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson
eyeprod

Post by eyeprod »

Thanks guys! Yeah, I also thought the thing was a PA cab, except for that open back. The handles certainly do suggest more than a few were made. I imagine this thing was designed for pro use, and I'm reasonably certain that the speakers are the original set.