Does anyone know this 103

Post by Hamtone »

I saw it on sf bay craigs:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1780587373.html

Looks as if it has seen some traveling.
OldSchoolDave

Re: Does anyone know this 103

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Hamtone wrote: Looks as if it has seen some traveling.
I should say!

Not familiar with the amp. Will the seller pull the chassis and send you some gut shots?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

I shot him an email and havent heard back yet. It seems a bit steep for the condition, Dr H's is in definite better condition and has had a replacement PT and seems worth more than that one. I think its worth about 1k unless the inside looks as if it has just been service or completely perfect original mustard caps in it.
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

I spoke to the guy on the phone. He seems to be a pretty nice guy, and a typical musician. 8) He said one of the cans had been replaced with 2 individual caps and at one point (when he got it) someone had modified something which increased the heater voltage which he has since returned to stock. It has been rode pretty hard as near as I can tell and he fully admits that the thing fell once during a stage performance but continued to work.

I think I would be more interested if I could see this one in person
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Hamtone wrote:He said one of the cans had been replaced with 2 individual caps and at one point
That was fairly typical when the 220uf cans were hard to find (now readily available on VHR! :) ). If only one filter cap was replaced, expect the others are due - or past due.
Hamtone wrote:(when he got it) someone had modified something which increased the heater voltage which he has since returned to stock.
Photo evidence of that work would be helpful.
Hamtone wrote:...and he fully admits that the thing fell once during a stage performance but continued to work.
Look for leaning transformers and replaced switches to determine how hard it may have fallen.

He's asking a lot for an amp in that condition, IMHO.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

I agree he is quite proud of that amp. There is a 72 or 73 that is about a 8 at gregs he is asking 2500 which seems like the upper end of retail, I would pay 1700 for gregs and would only be in for this one at about 1k.

New head cab badge and a complete go through would put it back into the 1700 range anyway.