Vintage HIWATT Convention 2010

Here's the place to discuss Vintage Hiwatt Conventions; past, present & future!

Moderator: Mods

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Vintage HIWATT Convention 2010

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I would like to thank everyone that went to all the trouble to come out and celebrate Dave Reeves, Hylight Electronics (HIWATT Amplification) and the music they helped create!

Thank You!

Big thanks to Dave, Mark, Glynn and Zells for helping me move my collection to and from the fairgrounds!!!!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:There are plenty of other forums for other gear. This forum is expressly for Vintage HIWATTs.
Clayton et al,

There are indeed some great pics you posted here for sure.

Hey Clayton, what's the beef? Sounds almost as if you guys are afraid of my bringing the amp made by the old Sundholm Brothers.

How about a challenge? If I have the room (I might not have the room so it might be moot) I'll bring one of those stacks and you can put it right up next to the Hiwatt stack of your choice? Once and for all, we'll let our ears decide. It seems as if there's almost a fear out there that resulted in one of my posts being deleted. Quite surprising indeed. It seems that in the spirit of true friendship a good-natured post and "challenge" should be cool, no? All in good fun. If your Hiwatt beats me, I'll be happy to admit it then and there and also in the forum. Why not a little fun side by side comparison? Don't you think that'll be fun?

Surprising indeed. And a bit disappointing.

Cheers to all,

Mike
"Nowadays if you're the young man...."

Support Commercial Free Conventions
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

Hiwatt Bob wrote:Hey MikeB,

Hopefully we'll both be there next year so i can give that chili-dog.

Love,
Bob
Bob,

You are more than latent. But have fun!

Mike

mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

Mike B. wrote:Why not a little fun side by side comparison? Don't you think that'll be fun?
Fun, sure. But comparing different amp lines isn't the point of the VHC. Otherwise some would be totin' in their Marshalls, Fenders, etc. for amp shoot-outs ad nauseum.

The point of the VHC, as I understand it, is to celebrate the legacy of Dave Reeves and his HIWATT/Hylight amplifiers.

And hang out with friends and have a beer - or bourbon. :wink:

No beef, it just is what it is. Play on, Brother!

Michael
aka mikhailwatt
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

See separate post. Mike!

Mike

PS Amp shoot-outs "ad naseum"? We've had that already, no? Loud volume sheerly for the sake of volume (isn't that what last year's convention became?)? Or does my memory fail me, Mike? More elsewhere.

mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

Mike B. wrote:Loud volume sheerly for the sake of volume (isn't that what last year's convention became?)?
They're vintage tube guitar amps. The sweet spot is usually in the vicinity of loud (lacking a good attenuator - I think I forgot mine). :wink:

That said, I prefer a little moderation (via attenuation)... but the VHC only rolls around once a year, by the good graces of our host. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

Good point, but there's loud and then there's LOUD to the point where all definition and balance is lost. I've learned that in my 41 years of playing. And please remember that I play and love loud stuff. But last year near the end got a bit out of hand, as a number of folks admitted as the festivities were winding down (I won't name them but perhaps they'll chime in here. I vividly recall hearing "We had to go outside as it got way TOO loud and unbearable").

No harm no foul, pal! :D

MB

PS I forgot--indeed,it might not last forever.

mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

Mike B. wrote:Good point, but there's loud and then there's LOUD to the point where all definition and balance is lost.
You'll get no argument from me there. I was using earplugs and could barely hear what I was playing. A "soundcheck" of sorts would have been a good idea... but it was a jam. Practicalities tend to be afterthoughts in those situations. :roll:
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

mikhailwatt wrote:
Mike B. wrote:Good point, but there's loud and then there's LOUD to the point where all definition and balance is lost.
You'll get no argument from me there. I was using earplugs and could barely hear what I was playing. A "soundcheck" of sorts would have been a good idea... but it was a jam. Practicalities tend to be afterthoughts in those situations. :roll:
Right you are, but there's really no reason why jams can't sound good. Which leads me to another idea (am I gonna get in trouble AGAIN?).

I've got a full PA system I might be able to bring to the convention next year. In fact, it will take up only a little more space that the aforementioned Coliseum stack. Subs, Columns, Monitors, Mixer, Snake--all there. Of course it's not a Hiwatt system... wink8), and of course you never really know what I'll show up with! Hey, I could set it up, work the board for a while (except when I'm jamming, of course), and I can promise we'd have a PA system that would stand up to the amplifiers.

Perhaps if I bring the PA I won't have any room for anything else but one of many basses....

I hope you'll see my recent post in the other thread and take a few days to consider it, but this second proposal should ruffle no feathers. We should have good sound for ALL musical endeavors.

Do you know if they held true jams or played "set" songs at this year's mingling?

Please call me up in the next day or so, or send me your cell number and I'll give you a shout!

Off to bed at last....

Mike

Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

Mike B. wrote:

Love,
Bob
Bob,

Mike

just for you bro.
Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

imagine how much louder last year's VHC would've been if i brought my FL112.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Hiwatt Bob wrote:imagine how much louder last year's VHC would've been if i brought my FL112.
Which reminds me of the "unofficial" model number change suggested by Glenn Cornick for our 30 watt combo.

He said it ought to be called the NSFL112 (as in "Not So F'ing Loud"!). That's got a certain ring to it :twisted: .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

Hiwatt Bob wrote:
Mike B. wrote:

Love,
Bob
Bob,

Mike

just for you bro.
Oh you sweet girl, you!

Mike

Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
Hiwatt Bob wrote:imagine how much louder last year's VHC would've been if i brought my FL112.
Which reminds me of the "unofficial" model number change suggested by Glenn Cornick for our 30 watt combo.

He said it ought to be called the NSFL112 (as in "Not So F'ing Loud"!). That's got a certain ring to it :twisted: .

Dave

i'd say make it official. 8)
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

That sounds like a great idea.

I'm looking forward to next year's gathering.

Mike