Converting PA-100 to DR-103. Worth it?

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

picassochild

Converting PA-100 to DR-103. Worth it?

Post by picassochild »

Hi guys, it's nice to find such good place to ask about Hiwatts. I bought 70's PA-100 from original owner and now I do think about mod for it to specs of DR-103 or CP-103. Actually, it's my first Hiwatt so I'm not sure, do I need MID knob or CP style amp will enought. So, what do you think, is it worth modding it and who could perform such mod in London or UK (amp is still there)? Thanks in advance, Evgeny.
OldSchoolDave

Re: Converting PA-100 to DR-103. Worth it?

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome to the Vintage Hiwatt Forum, Evgeny!

My first instinct is to avoid non-reversible / invasive mods as much as possible. If you haven't tried the PA-100 for your usage yet, you should give it a chance. There are both guitar and bass players using the PA heads with great results.

IF you decide a conversion is necessary, the PA-100 would be closer to a CP than a DR. I, too, questioned the lack of a mid control...until I heard a CP103 in action. There's nothing lacking that couldn't be supplemented by a graphic EQ pedal on occasion. I do like the idea of ganging together multiple pre-amp channels and have been keeping an eye out for a PA head myself (on the U.S. side of the pond).

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
picassochild

Post by picassochild »

Hey Dave,

thanks for reply! I'd like to mod it bcos I'm waiting for 2008' Hiwatt CP I bought from Germany, so I think DR type tones would be great additional to my amp line now. Especially bcos it vintage PA and I think mod to DR specs shouldn't be to complicated to perform...at least I hope so. I just can't find some amp tech in London who can do it! I asked about tech on rig-talk and sent enquiries to all contacts I found and got only 2 replies! From JPF amps (40 GBP/hour) and Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience. But tech in Charlie replies that he "is not familiar with this specific modification. Do you have any documentation or diagrams regarding the mod?" :shock: I do live in Moscow, Russia and I'm sure that it will be even harder to find such tech here! So, my main idea about mod is to get perfect clean and pedal friendly sound of DR-103 to pair it with my Matamp 4x12 and Two Tribes custom Matamp-120. Cascading preamps of Hiwatt could be great and usefull, but I have so many otions of getting lotsa tone and gain shades with my Matamp and Egnater M4 (and waiting for Naylor and Steavens), so I'd like to get just awesome classical clean machine for all dirt pedals I have. Maybe with 1 Bright, 1 Normal inouts and 2 cascaded channels on 3rd and empty 4th input... Gilmour type mod as I know. I read here that "Sadly MG and a couple other shops in the UK have converted many of them into DR103 and DR201 amps and sold them as such. :evil:" but I don't know who and what is MG :) Do you know?
riba2233

Post by riba2233 »

picassochild wrote:Hey Dave,

thanks for reply! I'd like to mod it bcos I'm waiting for 2008' Hiwatt CP I bought from Germany, so I think DR type tones would be great additional to my amp line now. Especially bcos it vintage PA and I think mod to DR specs shouldn't be to complicated to perform...at least I hope so. I just can't find some amp tech in London who can do it! I asked about tech on rig-talk and sent enquiries to all contacts I found and got only 2 replies! From JPF amps (40 GBP/hour) and Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience. But tech in Charlie replies that he "is not familiar with this specific modification. Do you have any documentation or diagrams regarding the mod?" :shock: I do live in Moscow, Russia and I'm sure that it will be even harder to find such tech here! So, my main idea about mod is to get perfect clean and pedal friendly sound of DR-103 to pair it with my Matamp 4x12 and Two Tribes custom Matamp-120. Cascading preamps of Hiwatt could be great and usefull, but I have so many otions of getting lotsa tone and gain shades with my Matamp and Egnater M4 (and waiting for Naylor and Steavens), so I'd like to get just awesome classical clean machine for all dirt pedals I have. Maybe with 1 Bright, 1 Normal inouts and 2 cascaded channels on 3rd and empty 4th input... Gilmour type mod as I know. I read here that "Sadly MG and a couple other shops in the UK have converted many of them into DR103 and DR201 amps and sold them as such. :evil:" but I don't know who and what is MG :) Do you know?
MusicGround, current owner of Hiwatt name.
picassochild

Post by picassochild »

Thanks Riba2233!
Dad3353

Post by Dad3353 »

picassochild wrote:...is it worth modding it ...
Good afternoon, Evgeny...
I have an original DR203 (6 entry PA amp as is yours, but 200w, 4 x KT88...) which I use for bass. I would not consider modding it, but for getting the 'Hiwatt' sound would rather use a pedal. I have heard only great praise for the Catelinbread 'WIIO' pedal, which gives the tone required; driving this into your PA amp will, imho, give the result desired without modding anything. Much cheaper (although the WIIO is not exactly cheap...), and your amp stays in good original shape. Worth considering..?
Just my tuppence worth; hope this helps...
Have a good day.

Dad3353 (Douglas...)
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

picassochild wrote:I just can't find some amp tech in London who can do it! ... I do live in Moscow, Russia and I'm sure that it will be even harder to find such tech here!
Perhaps one of our UK-based members will have a recommendation.

If you're shopping in the UK anyway, why not just look for a DR103 there?

Dave

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Get a Hylight era DR103 if that is the amp you want. Don't muck up perfectly good PA amps....These are a work of art in their own right.

Unload that MG amp if you can and get a Hylight DR103.

Once you get a real HIWATT you will never look back.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
picassochild

Post by picassochild »

Ok guys, I got your points! Will keep it in original condition. About getting DR-103. Of course I can find it but price for DR is 3-4 times higher than PA.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

picassochild wrote:About getting DR-103. Of course I can find it but price for DR is 3-4 times higher than PA.
Which is why some less-than-scrupulous "dealers" have counterfeited PA heads into DR's :evil: .

Don't forget to calculate the costs for parts and labor for such a modification, though. If you keep your eyes open, you may find a better deal on a DR103. It's a good time to be a buyer ;) .

regards,
Dave

marantz1300

Post by marantz1300 »

I have a 73 PA 100 and had a 74 DR103 for years untill three days befor I got the PA 100.They sound very similar,so close I think it would be hard to call in a blind test. Try a few pedals and you'll have great tone.