caps under the turrets

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

Hamtone

caps under the turrets

Post by Hamtone »

Had do you change these caps? Thats the last 2 i have left to change. The amp is much punchier still not silent and there is a hum no super loud but you can here a hum and its different since i changed the 50x50 cap.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: caps under the turrets

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

very carefully!
:lol:

It is easiest to melt the solder on one end of the diodes and lift them enough to give you better access.

It can be done without removing anything, but you have to be patient and steady.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

I dont haveany copper braid suck the solder and used my desolder tool for the other caps. Just those last 2 especially with that straight jumper between them. Im pushing the limits of my general abilities for repair. Lol
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Ok now i dont know wtf is wrong. I was looking at the 50x50 and decided i had it backwards changed it played popped a fuse. Put it back how had it turned it on and i think it cooked a resistor on the end of the wires heading towards the pre section. Any thoughts? Is the yellow neg on a f&t? I dont think i can put into words how much i hate being in maine and now having a decent amp tech guitar tech around...ok now im ranting
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Ok i see what i did some how i crossed the wires and reversed the polarities.
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Careful, you might have ruined the backwards cap.

--mark
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

If you were close enough to roadtrip out here I'd do it for you. I spent a summer in Maine. It is pretty isolated!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Cooked the 1k 2w i only hope the cap is ok. We'll see tomorrow...its not easy being a dumb shit lol
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Ok back in business. Just have to change the caps under those turrets everything else is done.
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

Ok cap job is finished. My buddy who used to service amps for a company in mass straightened it all out. His desolder method was interesting. He lined everything heated up the solder and gave em a shot of air on the posts, he used desolder mat for the turrets. He does awesome work and is meticulous.

I cjanged the 16x32 cap with a 32x32 everything else is stock. The tone is much much improved with clarity and punch, overall warmer. The noise i used to get with my strat is gone, no more hum at all. This is a must for anyone with an old hylight with origonal caps, change em and listen to what it was intended to sound like.
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Excellent, glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

--mark