Fender Into Weber Crescendos?

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

Philrob1

Fender Into Weber Crescendos?

Post by Philrob1 »

Hey chaps

Bit of background

I used to have a 4x12 cab loaded with Weber FC12s, powered off my Fender Blues Deluxe RI - long story short, I was never satisfied with the tone I got, it was fizzy and lacked body. I thought this was the nature of the Crescendos...I'd had 2 different speakers in the Fender so as far as I was concerned it *had* to be the speakers.

I decided to give it another go in the open back cab that the Fender amp is housed in - again...sounded fizzy - I decided that it wasn't infact the amp it could possibly be a huge case of amp/speaker mismatch.

I have a 2x12 on order from Mr Swanson with Reeves VPs in it with 2 15 to 12" baffle adapters, 2 spare Weber Crescendos, a Hiwatt T40, a 2x15 WEM and a Fender BDRI.

The WEM has Fane Pop and Celestion G15C Spider for speakers. Understand it was previously a bass cab. Only reason I haven't put the FC12s in the WEM is I need the adapters...

I appreciate this could be a total dumb-ass question that some may think I shouldn't be even on here let alone owning FC12s but I am at my wits end with this! I'm hoping it's me mismatching the speakers/amps...cheers!

I'm after the DG tone and with the Fender BDRI and Blue Dog it was pretty good...but I am put of by my current experience of Hiwatt/Crescendos/Fenders I'm not hopeful LOL
OldSchoolDave

Re: Fender Into Weber Crescendos?

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Philrob1 wrote:...but I am put of by my current experience of Hiwatt/Crescendos/Fenders
Pardon me for saying so, but you haven't detailed any experience with either Hiwatt Fanes or Fane Crescendos.

A few years back, an FC-12 loaded 4x12 was in the Vintage Hiwatt Convention Speaker Shootout. It didn't fare well along side real Hiwatt Fanes.

That said, a Fender Blues Deluxe probably isn't the best front end to get you to Gilmour-town.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
Philrob1 wrote:...but I am put of by my current experience of Hiwatt/Crescendos/Fenders
Pardon me for saying so, but you haven't detailed any experience with either Hiwatt Fanes or Fane Crescendos.

A few years back, an FC-12 loaded 4x12 was in the Vintage Hiwatt Convention Speaker Shootout. It didn't fare well along side real Hiwatt Fanes.

That said, a Fender Blues Deluxe probably isn't the best front end to get you to Gilmour-town.

Dave
Was the shootout between Fane Crescendos and FC12s or?
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

not that shootout, but I have had several real Crescendos and a set of FC12's and they are not very similar.

The FC12's didn't suck, but they were not very close to the real thing.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

Interesting. How do you rate the Reeves VPs? Closer to a Crescendo than an FC12? I know they were modelled off different speakers.
pet0r

Post by pet0r »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:not that shootout, but I have had several real Crescendos and a set of FC12's and they are not very similar.

Dr. Hiwatt, of all the currently available speakers you've tried, which one do you think comes closest to a Crescendo?
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

pet0r wrote:
Dr.HIWATT wrote:not that shootout, but I have had several real Crescendos and a set of FC12's and they are not very similar.

Dr. Hiwatt, of all the currently available speakers you've tried, which one do you think comes closest to a Crescendo?

I asked a similar question. He said the Eminence Tonkers!
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Based on my experience, I think Mr. Gilmour is mostly interested in a high power, speaker that doesn't color the sound. He is so masterful with his use of effects, that a clear and even sterile sounding speaker is best for his purpose.

I could be wrong as I have never met Mr. G., but after experimenting with real Crescendos I can see why he would like them at the tail end of his rig.

The Eminence tonker is the closest thing to a Crescendo A with a cloth or paper dust cap.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
pet0r

Post by pet0r »

Thanks, you're probably right about Gilmours approach. Would make sense.

Any idea how an EVM-12L would compare to a Crescendo? I'm using an Eminence delta pro 12a, which is sort of an EV clone, with my Hiwatt and it does sound nice.
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

Hi Phil, popped in for another reason, nice to see you.

I've given up on Crescendos, purple Fanes will do me fine, close enough for Gilmour and a whole lot better for other music, I can't afford (correction the old man can't afford) me to have a cabinet with one use, and that is what a crescendo cab would be, but I believe he already told you that. Tell you what, buy a hitone 2x12 and you put the speakers in your Swanson, and i'll put one of my 2 pairs of Fanes in the cab and we will split the cost.
Hiwatt/crescendos/lots of pedals/awesome. anything else/crescendos/lots of pedals nope.
Philrob1

Post by Philrob1 »

thefatcyclist wrote:Hi Phil, popped in for another reason, nice to see you.

I've given up on Crescendos, purple Fanes will do me fine, close enough for Gilmour and a whole lot better for other music, I can't afford (correction the old man can't afford) me to have a cabinet with one use, and that is what a crescendo cab would be, but I believe he already told you that. Tell you what, buy a hitone 2x12 and you put the speakers in your Swanson, and i'll put one of my 2 pairs of Fanes in the cab and we will split the cost.
Hiwatt/crescendos/lots of pedals/awesome. anything else/crescendos/lots of pedals nope.
Hey buddy, good to see you also...

I am trying to consider the logistics of getting some Hi-Tone DR-Fs for Ludlow next year. I am sure I'll be speaking to you nearer the time about it.

Hopefully we will have 5 or 6 pairs of Crescendo/Fane voiced speakers that we can back to back against each other...list so far:

Real Fane Crescendos
Tonkers
Weber Crescendos

I'd like to get some Byron Amp Starfinder speakers, DR-Fs, Tayden Retro55s...I'll find the pair I like the most then sell/auction off the rest