What's Your Favorite Guitar Through Your Hiwatt?

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

jrsdws

What's Your Favorite Guitar Through Your Hiwatt?

Post by jrsdws »

What do you guys enjoy the most?

My son only has his Les Paul Studio, but is finding the coil taps provide him a lot of versatility. He is itching for a Fender Jaguar now. I'll bet a Fender with low output single coils would sound really good. Of course it's hard to beat how those Gibson humbuckers sound when cranked up too....sweeeet.
OldSchoolDave

Re: What's Your Favorite Guitar Through Your Hiwatt?

Post by OldSchoolDave »

jrsdws wrote:What do you guys enjoy the most?
That's a tough call. Haven't run across one that DOESN'T sound good through a Hiwatt.

My most versatile sounding guitar is the least Gibson-like model Gibson ever made: the Nighthawk Custom. It's got a mini humbucker (like a LP Deluxe) at the neck, a single coil in the middle (yes, a middle pickup) and a slanted humbucker at the bridge, controled by a 5 way (Strat-type) switch. Both humbuckers have coil taps.

The guitar I play the most is a G&L Legacy (Strat) Special with Duncan rail pickups. That can get a bit buzzy with the volume wide open. Probably more a characteristic of the pickups. I'd like to throw a resistor or something into that, to make "10" on the volume control more like "8".

Then again, my LP Special double cut with P90's sounds pretty nice under Hiwatt power...

Those three are on the tree stand in front (from VHC 2009):

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
louis

Post by louis »

Those three are on the tree stand in front of the fire place!!......Dave

Well Dave ,If you dont like the sound of your guitars ,seems like they're all ready
and aligned for the burning oven !!! :lol:

Louis
Last edited by louis on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tripower455

Post by Tripower455 »

My Gibson R4 or PTSG, both with P-90s, are by far my favorite through my Hiwatts......
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

louis wrote:Well Dave ,If you dont like the sound of your guitars ,seems like they're all ready
and aligned for the burning oven !!! :lol:
There was a strict Burning Ban in place during Vintage Hiwatt Convention IV :shock: !

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

I'll tell you when I get one lol, but it will either be my self made Gilmour black strat replica or Candy apple red strat with active emg's and callaham trem block. It is unlikey to be my partsparker with EMG 81 81 and tone shaping pot set up for dropped c but you never know.!!!!!! For the other stuff my 1991 epiphone les paul with wolftone neck and bare knuckle cold sweat bridge will do the job. Heh Heh, we will just have to wait and see. :shock:
GigawattCustom121

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

jrsdws wrote:What do you guys enjoy the most?

My son only has his Les Paul Studio, but is finding the coil taps provide him a lot of versatility. He is itching for a Fender Jaguar now. I'll bet a Fender with low output single coils would sound really good. Of course it's hard to beat how those Gibson humbuckers sound when cranked up too....sweeeet.
I quote Johnny Ramone: "if you play loud enough any guitar will sound good." :mrgreen:

... but I prefer strats with a super hot true singlecoils in the bridge and vintage output in the neck/middle
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson