EL-34 Survey

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

evel1

Re: EL-34 Survey

Post by evel1 »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
evel1 wrote: Perhaps you could use this as a tagline.... "VHR, eats Mullards for breakfast!"
To be perfectly clear, let's make it "eats replica Mullards for breakfast!" Vintage Mullards are, of course, a perfect match.

Dave
Oh but of course dear boy. Banish any other thought. ;)

I am happy to report though, that my VHR DR504, sounds utterly incredible and I can now see why Brother Townshend has the issues that he has, with his hearing. It is highly addictive to sit in front of your Hiwatt to feel the "noize!"

I fear that what 2 tours of duty in Iraq couldn't do for the old hearing, my DR504 will in a matter of days. :lol:

To Clayton and Mark, well done! I also have a sense of pride knowing that my amp "ate" a set of replica Mullards for breakfast.
Same sig block applies here as the Gilmour one...

-Jeff

Individual tone and settings may apply, that said..."Shine On You Crazy Cowbell" - Dave
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

:lol:
Helloo, nice slogan. Sell one of your many dirt pedals and buy Pink Furry earmuffs.
theSeeker

Post by theSeeker »

So, regarding the NOS Svetlanas, are these anything pre 2000, and are they different from the SED =C=? As I understand the NOS have "svetlana" printed on them and the new "reissue" ones have the S logo? Do any of the NOS have the =C= marking, or is that just the SED version?

Watford Valves is advertising NOS Svetlanas 1999-2000 date codes for about $105+shipping, although the picture doesn't seem to jive. Is it worth it over a pair of SED =C=?
Zells

Post by Zells »

theSeeker wrote:So, regarding the NOS Svetlanas, are these anything pre 2000, and are they different from the SED =C=? As I understand the NOS have "svetlana" printed on them and the new "reissue" ones have the S logo? Do any of the NOS have the =C= marking, or is that just the SED version?

Watford Valves is advertising NOS Svetlanas 1999-2000 date codes for about $105+shipping, although the picture doesn't seem to jive. Is it worth it over a pair of SED =C=?
I have a quad of Svetlanas from the 90s. They do not have a =C= logo. I'm not sure if they're worth more or better than reissue =C= tubes, but some people do prefer NOS Svetlanas.
buggs

Post by buggs »

DR103s require a re-bias when new tubes are installed, right? If not, then I'd pop a set of TungSols in ans report. THe EH 6ca7s are all I've ever known in mine.
snarfusmaximus

Post by snarfusmaximus »

I have a set of reissue Tung-Sol EL34's in my recently built VHR DR103 and am extremely happy with them. Lots of room shaking bottom in those while still sounding rather crisp. Nailed the early 70's Jethro Tull sound with a clean boost in front. Not as expensive as the Winged C's, but damn good in my humble opinion.

I highly rate the reissue Tung-Sol 12AX7's as well.

Have fun!
Emil
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Yes, the 6CA7s have a different bias range than EL34s, so a bias tweak will be in order.

--mark