Ebay DR103 looks wrong. am I imagining it?

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

thefatcyclist

Ebay DR103 looks wrong. am I imagining it?

Post by thefatcyclist »

Hi I saw this dr103 on Ebay. Am I imagining it or are there a whole load of compononets missing off the board?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1970-Hiwa ... 3a6637f637
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Ebay 504 looks wrong. am I imagining it?

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

The preamp is more akin to a fender bassman or Marshall.
I have been torn as to whether or not to buy it. My collection is missing one from the 8xx range.

8)
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
mhuss
Site Admin

Re: Ebay DR103 looks wrong. am I imagining it?

Post by mhuss »

The really early Hiwatts (S/N < 900...1000) had conventional Fender/Marshall style tone stacks, which are less complex than the later traditional Hiwatt tone stack. This gives them a different and interesting sound, and also leaves a bit more empty space on the board.

--mark
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

good info thanks
metamatic

Post by metamatic »

My DR-103 (sn 1097) has one of those marshall like tonestack. It also has both halves of V2 used (one triode to drive the tone-stack). It sounds sort of fuller (with more mid and mid-bass presence) and has slightly more gain than the standard preamp. I don't know if can spot other differences tonewise.
When i first got the amp, i thought it was not working properly, as keeping the trebles in the first half results in a really muddy sound. After inspecting the preamp i discovered it was a different design and then talking to people on the forum i've learnt about those different amps.
I'm still thinking of modifiying the preamp as i don't know if i can make it sound like a "standard" hiwatt just by tweaking the tone controls
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

metamatic wrote:I'm still thinking of modifiying the preamp as i don't know if i can make it sound like a "standard" hiwatt just by tweaking the tone controls
hmmm... I wouldn't mess with it... get to know and love it for what it is. Or if you can do an A/B test with a later DR103, change over if you really prefer that sound. Might be suprized at the outcome... who knows :mrgreen:
riba2233

Post by riba2233 »

Rule number 1 - NEVER modify the vintage Hiwatt 8)
metamatic

Post by metamatic »

Or if you can do an A/B test with a later DR103, change over if you really prefer that sound. Might be suprized at the outcome... who knows :mrgreen:
That'd be great if only i could find a Hiwatt owner to do the test with.. anyway i'm seeking a good deal on a later and somewhat cheaper (2 holer) standard DR-103. Having both the specimens would definitely make me 100% satisfied i suppose :D