Anyone used Celestion G12-T75's with a DR103?

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

mhuss
Site Admin

Re: Anyone used Celestion G12-T75's with a DR103?

Post by mhuss »

I like the Medusa, I have one in my test bench speaker cab. It sounds good with most of the amps i plug into it.

--mark
Voddi78

Post by Voddi78 »

ak-47 wrote: Image

:mrgreen:
There's something wrong with this picture. Someone needs to superimpose it by replacing Yngwie's Marshall stack with a Hiwatt stack. Since he ditched the Dimarzio pickups in favour of Seymour Duncans, I'm waiting for the day he goes to Hiwatt amps....or better yet, a backline of Fender Super Reverbs! :lol:

BTW Yngwie, what do you prefer? Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, or Tim Hortons? :)

David
Sex, guitars, and Boone's Farm IS Rock & Roll
countdecibel

Post by countdecibel »

OldSchoolDave wrote:Welcome to the Vintage Hiwatt forum!

Disclaimer: G12T-75's are perhaps my least favorite Celestions - even under Marshall power. And, for the record, I'm not anti-Celestion. I own a few green/blackback loaded cabs, a quad of Hellatone 60L's ("special" V30's) and a couple of silver alnicos (in a VOX cab).

To me, Hiwatts sound better when the speakers have wider and flatter frequency response and don't break up until really pushed.

But, with the difference in price you mention, I would also be tempted to snag the M cab and live with it.

What other speakers are readily available in Germany? Maybe there's something that would get you closer to the classic Hiwatt Fane sound without breaking the bank.

Dave
Count Decibel here.... Damn...what upsetting news R.E. G12T-75s.... I've got three 4x12 cabs loaded with them. Oh, well. I wanna address what OldSchoolDave says: "To me, Hiwatts sound better when the speakers have wider and flatter frequency response and don't break up until really pushed." He NAILED IT !!! I've had TREMENDOUS LUCK with EVM12Ls. Try Them.
Murrrwatt

Post by Murrrwatt »

I'm probably going against the grain here, but I'd like to give a positive review for the G12t-75's with my Hi-Tone Custom 100. I've got a late 80's JCM800 4x12 with English made 75's and it sounds great.

Disclaimer: I play an old school punk style and love aggressive overdriven guitars. I use humbuckers too...

I run a Hotcake into the bottom normal and jumper the channels, which are set to noon (although I dial the brilliant volume back a little). Treble at 9 o'clock, bass around noon, middle at 2-3 o'clock, presence at noon. Master set to taste and you've got a hell of a solid, aggressive rock tone :twisted:
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Note there is no "right answer." Whatever sounds good to your ears is best for you. 8)
Schuabber

Post by Schuabber »

mhuss wrote:Note there is no "right answer." Whatever sounds good to your ears is best for you. 8)
I play my ´78 DR504 through a 1x12 EV12L and it sounds awesome. Nice flat response and tons of headroom (12L Classic 200W version).
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

mhuss wrote:Note there is no "right answer." Whatever sounds good to your ears is best for you. 8)
Unless of course your audience hates it. No fans is a bummer... LOL ;-)
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

FWIW -- Best thing I did for my custom closed back 212 guitar cab was to replace the Celestions with Hi-Tones. So much easier to achieve a nice chunky full range while able to dial in right amount of sparkle. Played with a DR103, Rivera S120 and a Diezel VH4S (mind you at reasonable volume to prevent melt down). I have an open back 212 loaded with Vintage 30's that I'm going to test against the orphaned G12T-75's.
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

Post by Hiwatts-n-Gibsons »

sethwid wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 pm OK. Im thinking I will get a pair of Fane Medusa's and be done with it. Its good to know there are other guys that like them (cheers for posting). I could probably try a whole host of different speakers but Im sure I couldnt go wrong with Medusa's. I am not trying to reproduce any specific famous tone, I just want the clearest, beefiest, mid-rangey tone possible with some bite to it... I hate subjective adjectives but hey.

Since the medusas are each 100W rated, I will put them in a stereo/mono cab so I could run my dr103 into 1 speaker at times where I want to push the speaker harder, closer to breakup. Could be a opportunity for experiementing.

Anyone else out there with experience with the Medusa's and a dr103?? (if not go get me a doughnut lol)
First, did you ever get the Medusas? Were they the older green Medusa head badged Medusa 30's, the newer Medusa 100's, or Medusa 150's?

I have a pair of the original Medusa 30's which are each rated at 100 watts, and supposedly the same.speaker as the newer Medusa 100. I have them paired with two vintage alnico Coffee Can EV SRO12's, and it is by far the best sounding 4x12 I ever played through. Gorgeous cleans, and when over driven, with fuzz, or high gain punchy as hell lowend chug with cutting chainsaw like grind.

That cab paired with either my Hiwatt Custom DR103 or Reeves DR504 is a match made in heaven (clean), or hell (with heavy fuzz or gain).
Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

Post by Hiwatts-n-Gibsons »

Fwiw I also really love my two Custom 100's through the.two JCM800 1935 cabs I have. I have one 1935 Bass 4x12 with four Celestion 55hz G1265's, and one 1935 Lead 4x12 with four Celestion 75hz G1265's. Both cabs sound fantastic with both of the amps, but with both cabs combined it sounds huge. The Bass cab fills the room with lowend punch and sweet highs, while the Lead cab supplies extra midrange crunch and treble chime.