is this a hiwatt ?

HIWATT Cabinets and Speakers from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

careycrash

is this a hiwatt ?

Post by careycrash »

hi everyone i just bought this cab and i thought it was strange it does not have any ports , the brace goes all the way across the bottom where a port would be and a few other strange things like gold piping and tolex is old marshall style .the tolex in the handle boxes is regular hiwatt style though . i guess it could have been re-tolex but maybe its a frankencab ? the fanes appear to be late 80s . theres no tag on the back and the back wood may have been replaced im not sure . any ideas out there Image Image Image Image Image
philmanatee

Re: is this a hiwatt ?

Post by philmanatee »

It looks like the back has been replaced and the center post has been removed from the front baffle. The back should be 1" particle board. Phil
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

My guess is that it began life as a real Hiwatt cab. Check your picture of the inset handle - the original vinyde is still inside.

As philmanatee said, someone has torn out the center post. They also replaced the battens for the back panel. In the original, the battens overlap at the top and are cut short at the rear port.

Speakers are not original, but are Fanes from the 80's. IMHO, the cabinet predates the speakers.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
careycrash

Post by careycrash »

thanks guys for the reply , i guess i can make a new center post after i get the right measurements . the fanes have a very dark and bass sound with my jmp 2203 which is kinda strange for that amp . Image
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

careycrash wrote: the fanes have a very dark and bass sound with my jmp 2203 which is kinda strange for that amp .
I bought one exactly like that off ebay a couple of years ago. Wound up sticking it in my SF Deluxe Reverb. It sounds very nice in there, pushing more mids without icepick treble.

I think these models may have been used in the Laney AOR Pro-Tube series, which could pump out incredible rumble. They're good speakers, just not the same as Hiwatt Fanes.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com