Jumpering ´78 Hiwatt DR504

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

Schuabber

Jumpering ´78 Hiwatt DR504

Post by Schuabber »

Hi everyone,
It´s been a while since I got my ´78 DR504 and I have so much love for this amp.
So far, I´m using just the Brilliant channel and set my amp very clean (12:00) to serve my pedals. It´s a wonderful bold clean sound and I have nothing to complain.

As we guitarists are such cursed creatures, I started reading about some possibilities to connect the Normal and Brilliant channels just like Mr. Gilmour does with his Hiwatts (I´ve read his Hiwatts have a permanent link between the two high sensitivity inputs). So as my ´78 has just two inputs, and by design both are very sensitive, I decided to look for something to connect them.

I´ve read in KitRae site (http://www.kitrae.net/music/Images_Secr ... Inputs.jpg) and he uses an y-cable connector to split his guitar sound into two and feed both inputs in his amps.
I also read that any stereo pedal, e.g. chorus, delay and reverb, one can use their stereo outputs to feed two inputs as well.

Yesterday, I ordered the y-cable adapter, a 30 cm Cordial y-adapter, just to try out but today, after my gig, I decided to use my stereo chorus, an Ibanez SC-10 (MIJ from the 80s) and I used the stereo outputs to feed my amp and it sounded gorgeous! My God I thought my amp had a bold clean sound and now it is thunderous, clean and loud. My master volume needed to be reduced by half almost. The cool thing is that the pedal splits even when bypassed.

I know that there are many ways to split the guitar signal like isolated split boxes, y-cable, y-adapter, a/b/y boxes, stereo pedals etc... all of them seem to work. As I have no idea of electronics, my question is: What would you choose to split the guitar signal and feed a ´78 2-input Hiwatt?
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Jumpering ´78 Hiwatt DR504

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I would use a Y cable.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Schuabber

Post by Schuabber »

Thanks Dr. Hi-tone.
I am waiting for my y-cable.
So far, I am very impressed by the sound of linked Normal/Brilliant channels.
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Another vote for the Y. Things like chorus used to split the signal can sound great or may sound thin depending on the settings.
Schuabber

Post by Schuabber »

Thks mhuss!
I am also wondering, how different is a linked 2-inputs vs a linked 4-input at clean settings?
I know the 2-inputs have a differnet V2 mix configuration, but at very clean setting, do they come close each other?
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Make that 3 Y's !

In this particular SA112 (1981 vintage), I run a 5751 in V1 (and an ECC81 in V4) to keep the cleans cleaner.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Schuabber

Post by Schuabber »

Thks Dave!
Y-cable 3x0 other options...
I will receive my y-cable soon and probably I will make it 4x0 :)
Schuabber

Post by Schuabber »

Hi! The y-cable souded awesome and now I don't need to run two cables from the chorus pedal to the amp.
Thanks guys for your collaboration.
Btw, jumpering made my sound even bigger and it increased my experience with my pedals. I don't know, but everything seems more sensitive and more harmonic.
Greetings
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Excellent, glad to hear it worked out for you. :)
Hiwatts-n-Gibsons

Post by Hiwatts-n-Gibsons »

Schuabber wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:50 pm Hi everyone,
It´s been a while since I got my ´78 DR504 and I have so much love for this amp.
So far, I´m using just the Brilliant channel and set my amp very clean (12:00) to serve my pedals. It´s a wonderful bold clean sound and I have nothing to complain.

As we guitarists are such cursed creatures, I started reading about some possibilities to connect the Normal and Brilliant channels just like Mr. Gilmour does with his Hiwatts (I´ve read his Hiwatts have a permanent link between the two high sensitivity inputs). So as my ´78 has just two inputs, and by design both are very sensitive, I decided to look for something to connect them.

I´ve read in KitRae site (http://www.kitrae.net/music/Images_Secr ... Inputs.jpg) and he uses an y-cable connector to split his guitar sound into two and feed both inputs in his amps.
I also read that any stereo pedal, e.g. chorus, delay and reverb, one can use their stereo outputs to feed two inputs as well.

Yesterday, I ordered the y-cable adapter, a 30 cm Cordial y-adapter, just to try out but today, after my gig, I decided to use my stereo chorus, an Ibanez SC-10 (MIJ from the 80s) and I used the stereo outputs to feed my amp and it sounded gorgeous! My God I thought my amp had a bold clean sound and now it is thunderous, clean and loud. My master volume needed to be reduced by half almost. The cool thing is that the pedal splits even when bypassed.

I know that there are many ways to split the guitar signal like isolated split boxes, y-cable, y-adapter, a/b/y boxes, stereo pedals etc... all of them seem to work. As I have no idea of electronics, my question is: What would you choose to split the guitar signal and feed a ´78 2-input Hiwatt?
I love the sound of both my 4 hole Custom 100's with the inputs bridged.

I have a Hiwatt Custom Shop DR103, and a Reeves DR504. I bought both new, and everything you described is the same as my experience. I generally run the brilliant volume up just a little bit higher, but both are set above noon to get that touch responsive crunch, and roll back the guitar volume for gorgeous clean tones.

Hiwatts are the loudest and bestest watts ever.