Used 70s DR103 and 412 cab at Dave's

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

GigawattCustom121

Used 70s DR103 and 412 cab at Dave's

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

I was eyeballing a few things over at Dave's Guitar shop and I noticed they have a 70's Hiwatt 1/2 stack for sale.

http://davesguitar.com/hiwatt/dr103-hea ... s-8699.asp

$2195 for both the amp and the cab seems like a good price if everything is on the up and up.
Last edited by GigawattCustom121 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson
OldSchoolDave

Re: Used 70s DR103 and 412 cab at Dave's

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Could be, if original. To my knowledge, no front-loaded cabs had the S&P grill cloth - so at least that has been changed. Hope the Fanes are still in there.

The pic doesn't enlarge well, but it appears to have an "Ontario Hydro" sticker (by the speaker outs). Maybe a DR105, not DR103. Can't tell if it's a Hylight or Biacrown, but the transformers appear to be Partridge-like. What say the eagle-eyed Dr.Hiwatt :) ?

FWIW, Dave Rogers is a straight shooter. He's been over to my house, looking at some of my guitars. I also bought a LP Classic DC from him a few years ago. I'm confident he'd field any questions.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
ignition

Post by ignition »

99% sure that the cab used to be mine. I got it as a torn up project. Barely any tolex, spray painted green, with chicken wire for a grill. It did have the original fanes in 100% working order though. Really bass heavy cab. Could never get it to sound right with any of my amps... but then again I didn't have a Hiwatt.
GigawattCustom121

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

OldSchoolDave wrote: FWIW, Dave Rogers is a straight shooter. He's been over to my house, looking at some of my guitars.
You are one connected dude. :wink: That guy's store is like "Fender Guitar Heaven." I wish I knew him.
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GigawattCustom121 wrote: You are one connected dude. :wink:
I'm so connected, I even got a T-Shirt from Dave :D ! :
LP Classic DC 01.JPG
LP Classic DC 01.JPG (68.4 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Hey ignition, Did you recover the cab or did that happen after you sold it? Are you in the La Crosse area? If it was yours, guess the head and cab weren't original siblings.

Dave

ignition

Post by ignition »

I'm down in Milwaukee and got one of the guys at sonic speakers / northcoast music to cover it. I did the grill cloth though. I've been up to daves a few times..... It's a pretty amazing store.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

ignition wrote:I'm down in Milwaukee and got one of the guys at sonic speakers / northcoast music to cover it. I did the grill cloth though.
Thanks for the follow-up. I bought one of the last AC30CC1's from Northcoast. Gary hand delivered it, as he was heading up to my area on other biz anyway. Great service!

Dave

JC103

Post by JC103 »

The amp is definitely a DR-105, or at least was imported for sale in Canada. The tell tale signs are the "Ontario Hydro" sticker and the removal of the voltage selector plug. Mains power was hard wired for 115v. This one might even have the infamous "Canadian Importer Mod"... just a little FYI.