THE WHO AT THE SUPER BOWL

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

louis

THE WHO AT THE SUPER BOWL

Post by louis »

Hey everyone!

What did you think of the WHO performance!

For myself ,I think that Pete could have been a little less sloppy on the
playing and singing !.........or is it because his Hiwatts are gone! :roll:

Louis
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: THE WHO AT THE SUPER BOWL

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

depressing..... :oops:
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:depressing..... :oops:
Just got in from working outside all day... glad to see my underdog pick won. Sorry, Doc. :(
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

louis wrote:What did you think of the WHO performance!
I think they were 10, maybe 15 years too late in being invited.

Unquestionably, The Who recorded some true Rock 'n' Roll classics. And, I hope I'm moving that well when I'm their age. But, with half of the founding members deceased and the other two obviously past their prime, it was disappointing. The lighting effects were great, though.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
midifarm

Post by midifarm »

Sad. I loved the Who, ci. Keith Moon & Entwhistle. With them gone it's no longer the Who. It's not as bad as Creedence Clearwater Revisited, but they should either hang it up or go all acoustic (which of course would not go with the SB). It was strange to see Pete with a Fender guitar and 4 stacks of Fender combos. I did notice the Selmer 8x, but couldn't get a glimpse of the black stack with the head on top to the left of the little Fender Class D's. Any ideas? The Who were the original bad boys of R&R.

Senior wasteland...
Last edited by midifarm on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

Hi,
Daltry's voice better than I have heard recently, but PT was not on form, his licks were sloppy and substandard and his vocal harmonies were late. 4 fenders and a Strat with active emg's, plus a pete cornish board, sounds like early 90's Gilmour setup, LOL. Daltry's trade mark stepping during the synth break in Won't Get Fooled Again was half hearted.
The crowd seemed to like it tho'
Sad to say, they need to pack it in.
hohohiwatter

Post by hohohiwatter »

Aye!
i saw it last nite, stayed up! it was.... interesting wish i wasnt so tired now tho! i thought they all played well esp ringo's lad zak, but yes i agree petes playing was a bit sloppy (which i can forgive him for cause their his bloody songs!) but it was kinda distracting to listen to, when ur so used to better versions (with intime guitar chops!) an daltrys voice was good. oh an to me townsend did look a bit of a tit in a bandana+blues type hat!
as for his sound, i thought it was pretty good, its hard to tell on tv cause theres so many other factors that get in the way, if anything i thought it was too loud at times, u couldnt hear the drums properly, which sounded a bit flat, but like i sed its tv.
the round stage an the lights were f***in awesome tho! out shone the band!! see what i did there eh!
wished the 1/2 time was a bit longer so they couldve played a bit more, seemed like a hellova lot of effort for a 10/15min show! i wonder how much they actually got paid? (i did read somewhere that they only got expensis, i wonder how much that was?)
U CANT BEAT A DR103 THRU AN SE4122 ON FULL TITS! BREAKOUT THE DEFAID!
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

If you just expensed the lighting alone, it'd be a small fortune. My wife I agreed, as far as how is sounded, it was a fantastic light show. :wink: I've never seen anything like that.

Roger did OK, Pete was mixed too loud and played a bit too sloppy. It was good to see them going through the motions at least. He still does the windmill pretty well. I thought Pete's tone was OK , for Fender stuff. :P

I was happy to see the Aints win (sorry, Doc!), I always root for the "haven't won before" team when I have no dog in the fight.

--mark
theSeeker

Post by theSeeker »

The light show was great! The performance was uninspired, and the mix was awful.

Roger's voice sounded better than the last few times i've seen him. Pete had the gain turned UP on that Fender rig. He was also showing some skin when his shirt came untucked, after a few windmills! Yuck. :shock: But I wish I could hit a chord like that without busting my nuckles....they're still awesome!
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

I agree, they are not up to the old snuff ... but not bad for a bunch of geezers ... (i'm about there myself) ... and Roger did sound pretty good

Not in the same league as good old Jeff Beck .. check out the grammy tribute to Les Paul ..... I never cease to be impressed with how he carries on and keeps coming up with new ideas ... his LP imitation was effortless and NOT SLOPPY ... that old geezer can STILL PLAY!

http://www.gibsonlespaulelectricguitar. ... 10-grammys

Yeah .... he's not a HW guy, but ... this is the off topic room ain't it?

john
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Jeff Beck did briefly use Hiwatts around the the "Jeff Beck Group" time frame. Check out the eponymous (citrus) record and Rough and Ready. 8)

--mark
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

Beck did briefly use Hiwatts
thx mark .... didn't know ... regardless, i think it would not have mattered much what he was "using" .. he seems to make any rig sing .. he''s my example to my son .... throw away the pick and get a good set of nails on those strings!

... big fan of JB whatever he uses :D .. john