Value of a 1972 DR504 - Help Please!

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

hardasmum

Value of a 1972 DR504 - Help Please!

Post by hardasmum »

Hello. I've been thinking of putting my 1972 Hiwatt DR504 on consignment at a local shop. The tolex is pretty road worn but not horrible and it's in good working order. The guy at the shop suggested $1500 was an average price to start at. It seemed low to me but maybe the insane price of the reissues is lodged in my brain as what fair market value is.

Help please. :)
Last edited by hardasmum on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldSchoolDave

Re: Value of a 1972 DR504 - Help Please!

Post by OldSchoolDave »

CDN$ or US$?

Have any mods been done to the amp?

Does it have both original Partridge Transformers?

How much commission is the consignment shop taking?

Are you willing to ship the amp (domestically or across borders) to maximize your proceeds?

Local conditions outweigh international markets. Your local shop is probably estimating a price that will be an easy sale. You can always ask for more, but they may be reluctant to have something sitting around for awhile.

I recall several guys asking about an early 70's DR504 lately. Wouldn't think you'd have a hard time selling it if you were willing to ship to the U.S..

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

OldSchoolDave wrote:CDN$ or US$?
Have any mods been done to the amp?
Dave
That would be CDN funds.

I have had this amp for 15 years and have not personally had any mods done. If memory serves me correct the person I purchased this from claimed to be the original owner. I got it in the UK so it hasn't had the Canadian conversion done to it.

That being said there are a couple things about it that may not be stock. There is a strange AC mains connector, regular AC cords will not fit it. There are two holes drilled in the panel next to the AC connector, perfectly drilled but no idea what for. The original 4x12 has 1973 Celestion Greenbacks in it. I've posted about this in the past. I only mention it as there may be other things about it that have been changed. It's served me well for fifteen years without any issues though.

I don't know if the transformers are original.

The store takes 15% commission and it's worth this to me as I don't want to sell privately or via craigslist. I just don't have the time to take care of it myself. :)

I know they sold a Custom 100and two 4x12 cabs recently but I can't remember the price the head went for. The guy there said $1400 CDN and I'm pretty sure I saw one of the cabs for about $1200 CDN.

The sad part of this story is that I was running late for work and left the amp there. I have to wait twenty four hours before I can get it back but I could change the price.

Perhaps $1500 CDN is fair, I thought it might be over $2000 CDN. Maybe if it was in pristine condition cosmetically, as mentioned before it's seen on the road.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

it is very hard to give an idea of the price without pics.

If you are willing to ship the amp, you will be money ahead to put pics on this forum in the for sale section.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

Not sure if these pictures will help at all. I just took them last night.

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

any gut shots? Nice straight on, pics of the wiring. Those will show what is important.

DR-F
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:any gut shots? Nice straight on, pics of the wiring. Those will show what is important.
Ah! I see. I don't have any shots of the wiring...and to be honest in 15 years I don't think I ever saw the inside of the chassis.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Looks like someone was planning to add an Effects loop in the back panel. All the more reason to see the circuitry, to make sure nothing was molested. The good news is, your transformers sure look like Partridges. If you can post pics of the codes, we can tell if they are age-appropriate.

If you want to justify a higher selling price, you'd do well to document the circuitry and components. The more original your amp is, the more it's worth.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

OldSchoolDave wrote:If you want to justify a higher selling price, you'd do well to document the circuitry and components. The more original your amp is, the more it's worth. Dave

This whole thing is making me sick to my stomach :oops: :)

I just read the fine print of this consignment deal and I might have trouble getting the amp back before its been in store for four weeks. I might even have to pay a penalty. I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly today.

I realize I can't easily get more information on what's under the hood. So I suppose my next question is, what's the potential price range this amp could fall into? On both the high and low side of things. I'm just trying to determine if the $1500 is completely off the wall.

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

$1500 isn't too far off, but take another 15% and that is pretty low. The holes in the chassis do hurt the value.
I would try to get it back tomorrow.

DR-F
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:$1500 isn't too far off, but take another 15% and that is pretty low. The holes in the chassis do hurt the value.
I would try to get it back tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice Doctor. I appreciate your bed side manner. :)
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Without cold medicine affecting my thought process. I don't think you are taking much of a beating at $1500. A mint '75 DR504 sold on ebay in November for $1600. I have not seen any sell for over $2000.00 US, besides a seriously worked over amp on the Gear Page. The holes in the chassis will eliminate any collector appeal, so it is a "player".

I wouldn't expect to get more than $1500.00 out of it on a good day, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

:)

DR-F
hardasmum

Post by hardasmum »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:I wouldn't expect to get more than $1500.00 out of it on a good day, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

:)
That puts my mind at ease. Thank you Doctor. I really appreciate your advice.

I'll let it go. :)
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

I wouldn't expect to get more than $1500.00
1500 is a reasonable place to start, and have the store be open to offers ... don't be in a hurry if you can help it and you may get close to that

j