Roger Daltrey Wants to Sing the Blues With Jimmy Page

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

louis

Roger Daltrey Wants to Sing the Blues With Jimmy Page

Post by louis »

Source from Rolling Stone ....Btw! we should all learn from Petes hearing problem !...Be carefull with those Hiwatts!!.....Enjoy!! :wink: Louis

While Pete Townshend’s ongoing tinnitus problem threatens to dock the Who for the foreseeable future, Roger Daltrey is already lobbying to work with another guitar god who’s on the lookout for a vocalist. “I’d love to do an album with Jimmy Page. He needs a singer to drive him. I’m a great blues singer,” Daltrey told BBC 6Music. “I don’t sing the blues with the Who, but that’s what I used to be before Townshend started writing. I used to be a great blues singer.”

As Rolling Stone previously reported, Page seemed eager to return to the live stage in 2010 after spending last year mostly on the sidelines, watching his Led Zeppelin counterparts like Robert Plant, who released Raising Sand with Alison Krauss and is reportedly working on a solo album, and John Paul Jones, who joined the supergroup Them Crooked Vultures, take on other musical projects. “Next year I have every intention of playing music live and manifesting it,” Page said late last year. “I’ve got the music waiting, and that’s what I’ll be doing.”
Before any possible collaboration with Page takes place, Daltrey will first hit the road with another of rock’s greatest guitarists. As Rolling Stone reported, the Who frontman and current RS cover star Eric Clapton will embark on a joint tour starting February 25th in Pittsburgh.

Starting with their Super Bowl XLIV halftime show, 2010 was expected to be a big year for the Who, with a tour to follow the band’s most-watched performance ever. However, Townshend continues to suffer from the tinnitus that has plagued his hearing for years.“If my hearing is going to be a problem, we’re not delaying shows. We’re finished. I can’t really see any way around the issue.”
The guitarist was introduced to a new in-ear monitor that might prevent any further damage, and he’ll give the device a test drive when the Who play their only scheduled date of 2010, a March 30th Teenage Trust Cancer benefit concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall where the band will perform its classic Quadrophenia in its entirety.
Bossco

Re: Roger Daltrey Wants to Sing the Blues With Jimmy Page

Post by Bossco »

Thanks for posting this article. Interesting news and heck I didn't know anything about "Them Crooked Vultures" -- will have to investigate what JPJ is up to.

Hoping the best for Pete ... I've been working part time with a guitarist/vocalist with same hearing problem and his special earpieces allow him to continue working just fine.

I'd like to hear how Daltrey would work out with Jimmy, but I'd prefer more progressive material than just blues. Perhaps "..to drive him" being the more encouraging statement than just "great blues singer...".
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

That would be an interesting pairing. :)

The Vultures were a disappointment to me, I saw them in Philly late last year. JPJ and Dave Grohl rocked, but Josh H's voice and guitar playing just annoy me (never was a Queens of the Stone Age fan)...

--mark
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Unfortunately, I listened to a bunch of their cuts & concur with your Vultures assessment. Disappointing indeed. :(
Bossco

HIWATT DR-103, DR-112, SE-4122
Diezel VR4S * Rivera S120 * Dr. Z Maz-18 Jr
Eventide+AnalogMan+ Effects
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

Just saw Daltrey open for Clapton in Nashville. Daltrey blew him away. Yep--another uninspired performance from Clapton.

Mike
"Nowadays if you're the young man...."

Support Commercial Free Conventions
lp59pete

Post by lp59pete »

I was there in nashville too, but I thought Clapton was fantastic. After the show and the next morning, I kept hearing people talk about how good clapton was. It was great to see Daltry too(along with pete's brother on guitar).
midifarm

Post by midifarm »

I always figured Pete lost the majority of his hearing from the dynamite explosion on the Smothers Brothers show. As a result, he had to turn up louder and louder, hence the 120+dB reading at FOH during that famed '77 show. Just trying to get my lore right.
alschnier

Post by alschnier »

I caught the daltrey/clapton show in tulsa. daltrey's set was great. killer drummer (not zach), simon on guitar. played a killer "young man's blues" (long & loose, much like L@L), along w. many who classics (which sounded very sim. to recent who tour).

clapton's set was tame at best. his playing was stellar. I was really impressed w. his tone & chops, but the band & arrangements were neutered. steve gadd on drums (& you'd never know it). 2 keyboardists playing identical rigs & neither really stood out. also found it odd that he did not play "tulsa time", or have any guests from OK.