Score ! My 1st Hiwatt ! 504

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

thames

Score ! My 1st Hiwatt ! 504

Post by thames »

Hello!

I just acquired a DR504, it is actually on its way home.

A '79 Hylight, with tag boards and stock components. It has been modified quite a bit, including the infamous Canadian Gain Mod and a FX loop. It works fine but I'll have to spend some time on it to bring it back to stock components. Hopefully I have a few NOS Mustard caps @home...

Does anyone have something to shard about these mods, how they affect the amp and anything I should know or care about before de-modding ?
I already have some knowledge on amps (having built 2 amps from scratch, a BFDR and SuperLead)... so I know a few basic things.... ;)
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Score ! My 1st Hiwatt ! 504

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Congrats!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Nice going!

I'd suggest you live with the amp as-is before making any changes. If you don't care for the Canadian mod, it's easy to undo. The effects loop may not impact your sound at all. Just give the thing a visual inspection for bulging caps and loose joints before you fire it up.

Enjoy your "new" Hiwatt!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
thames

Post by thames »

OldSchoolDave wrote:Nice going!

I'd suggest you live with the amp as-is before making any changes. If you don't care for the Canadian mod, it's easy to undo. The effects loop may not impact your sound at all. Just give the thing a visual inspection for bulging caps and loose joints before you fire it up.

Enjoy your "new" Hiwatt!

Dave

Dave,

Good suggestion. I'll see if I can live with that. If I post pictures, can some of you englight me about the FXloop and its impact on tone ?
I have a good benchmark amp to compare with, a Trinity Triwatt Custom Lead, that I will sell back eventually shortly.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

thames wrote:If I post pictures, can some of you englight me about the FXloop and its impact on tone ?
There are some here who certainly can (I don't pretend to be one of them ;) ). Post away!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

Does anyone have something to shard about these mods, how they affect the amp and anything I should know or care about before de-modding ?
My advice, for what ever it is worth, is get the amp as clean as possible. You can always add pedals

I suggest you vist Mark H's web site on how to undo the Can mod.

http://www.mhuss.com/Hiwatt/index.html

There are good instructions on how to do it, and also instructions on the "so called" de fizz mod for amps of this vintage. I will be doing the same to my 79 504 this summer .... assuming i find the time. The de-fizz components can be bought as a kit from VHR

regards ... john
thames

Post by thames »

Thank you so far for your kind/helpful words...

I just got the amp this morning, its a monster ! :)

Now, take a look. There's a switch on the back that completely cuts the FX loop from the circuit. Thats good news.

Looks like the 470k from the Canadian mod is absent (from its actual location), but the yellow wire is still unattached... some strange wiring here and there.... take a look :

http://www.led-zepped.com/hiwatt504inside.jpg
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

lots of weird stuff going on there. It should have loads more gain than normal. but that is all I dare speculate.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Wow, lots of field-expedient-repair, flying caps and what not. I suspect all that crap around V2 is for the effects loop. None of that is irreversible.

Also looks like someone "repaired" the amp by replacing most of the original mustard caps. :?

--mark
thames

Post by thames »

mhuss wrote:Wow, lots of field-expedient-repair, flying caps and what not. I suspect all that crap around V2 is for the effects loop. None of that is irreversible.

Also looks like someone "repaired" the amp by replacing most of the original mustard caps. :?

--mark
Yep, that sucks.

I'll start by restoring the preamp circuit... as the FX loop has a on-off switch, this I can disconnect it completely from the circuit.

1st problem noticed : one of the volume doesnt seem to work well... probably bad wiper or something, sound goes up and down, and the pot doesnt seem to work well...
thames

Post by thames »

Well, I spent some time de-modding the amp last week... turned out pretty well, works fine now and sounds marvelous.

It appears that the yellow brick capacitors are late 70s Philips MKC 341 HQ capacitors, metalized polycarbonate, often seen in vintage audio equipments and enthusiasts. Supposedly very stable, and strong insulation resistance...

But anyway, I already ordered some NOS Mustard to replace em and bring it back to stock condition.

I'll post pictures of the work this afternoon....