does any1 no the difference between crescendo A & B?

The Holy Grail of Speakers, when powered by vintage Hylight Hiwatt amps!

Moderator: Mods

hohohiwatter

Re: does any1 no the difference between crescendo A & B?

Post by hohohiwatter »

i think they r genuine. but not seen that many meself an u cant be to careful with these old speakers. as long as the've not been hammered or have cone rub etc, shud be ok.
an they sed that the mags r so strong, when soldering the tags the mags sucked the iron over an took off some of the silver foil!
U CANT BEAT A DR103 THRU AN SE4122 ON FULL TITS! BREAKOUT THE DEFAID!
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

hohohiwatter wrote:or maybe the stamped print on the sticker was very faint an some1 decided to make it clearer?
That'd be my guess. Not implying anything sinister, it's just unusual. Yes, irregularities in the stamps are fairly common. That one appears to have been written over.

Anyway, no particular reason to doubt the seller's production dates of mid-1971 and early-1972.

I'd still be interested in knowing the cone codes (typically stamped in white ink on the back side). example (note the clarity of the MACRO closeup ;) ):

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

hohohiwatter wrote: an they sed that the mags r so strong, when soldering the tags the mags sucked the iron over an took off some of the silver foil!
Having soldered leads to 14,000 and 17,000 gauss cast frame Fanes, that doesn't surprise me one bit!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
steve

Post by steve »

I don't know about the possible sound difference with the 'A', but I have a Crescendo 'B' and it is rated 100 watts according to the label. I have used it in my 50 watt combo and it sounds great at clean or slightly overdrive volumes. At higher volume levels the single speaker doesn't handle the distortion well. I've wanted to try it paired with another Crescendo but they aren't easy to find.

Steve