New here wanna see my Hiwatts ?

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

godofthunder59

New here wanna see my Hiwatts ?

Post by godofthunder59 »

Hi folks just thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm Scott, I took up bass at 11, that's 40 years I have been playing! I love all sorts of music anything from 50's doo wop to punk. i am pretty much a hardrock bassist but I can play most anything. I have always wanted a full Hiwatt rig. Back in the late 70's I had a Hiwatt 2150 I bought new It was to be the start of my Hiwatt rig but Hiwatt gear was so tough to find and expensive when you did so most of my rig was built around Marshall Majors. I sold the 2150 in '89 and have regretted it ever since. Over the past few years I have been slowly building a complete Hiwatt rig. So many folks have been very kind in helping me put this rig together. My '75 DR201 came over from the UK two years ago it was one of 9 in Slade's back line a friend in the uk helped me with the purchase. About 4 months ago I finally found another 2150, a friend of mine in Texas sold it to me, Great sounding cab I am so glad to have it back ! This week I pick up a SE4123 and plan to load it with Eminence Delta 12bsHere a re a fer pics and a vid of the band with Hiwatts at work Image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wIiDuMfKmA
godofthunder59

Re: New here wanna see my Hiwatts ?

Post by godofthunder59 »

Oh yeah here is the 4123 I am picking up this week Image
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome! Glad you could join us :) .

The 12" Deltas should perform well for bass. What speakers are in your 2 x 15?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
godofthunder59

Post by godofthunder59 »

I bought the 2150 empty. I know lots of guys are nuts for the original Fanes but honestly I'll just blow 'em. The 2150 is loaded with Eminence Delta 15bs I go through a few of those a year also.
godofthunder59

Post by godofthunder59 »

The bass 100 is I am told a 80's Fane era Hiwatt, I got it cheap Nice enough sounding amp but not the hand wired point to point construction of the hylight era Hiwatts
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

godofthunder59 wrote:I know lots of guys are nuts for the original Fanes but honestly I'll just blow 'em.
That's a legitimate concern. For the punishment bass speakers take, best to go with something modern and replaceable.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

It sure is a legit concern. That is why I put the Eminence 15" Kappa Pro LF drivers in mine. 2x 600watts should hold up for a while!

NIce rig GodofThunder
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
godofthunder59

Post by godofthunder59 »

I am thinking of switching to the Kappas But at 180 something they are pricey. I use a lot of feedback, get the headstock on the cab and let a E bar chord at the 7th fret rubble away etc would kappas fair better?
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

the punishment bass speakers take, best to go with something modern
watched the video ... was fun ... now hear the need for great speakers .... you guys are pushing a lot of air

I agree with the comment above .... at your volume, and room dynamics etc., probably best to go with what will last and sound decent. 99.99% of the audience will not notice .... save the good stuff for the studio

j