80s Fane, any good ?

The Holy Grail of Speakers, when powered by vintage Hylight Hiwatt amps!

Moderator: Mods

thames

80s Fane, any good ?

Post by thames »

Hello, what's the general opinion or what can you tell me about 80's Fane speakers ?

I can put a hand on a quad of 80s Fane, 125816 model, all bbq-black finish, 75w.
Probably some Hiwatt Legend w/o labels or something.

Do you think they deliver that classic Fane vibe or I should stick with something else for the price ?
philmanatee

Re: 80s Fane, any good ?

Post by philmanatee »

I can't really comment on how they compare to the vintage ones, but I really like the 75's I've got. I have an LA412 slant cab with four of the Hiwatt labeled 75's, I play it live and record with it with great results. I've also used 80's fanes with a vox label on them that I really liked. Phil
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

thames wrote:Do you think they deliver that classic Fane vibe or I should stick with something else for the price ?
Kinda depends on the price. I'm not familiar with that model number. Fane produced quality speakers, so I'd tend to give any of their 80's and earlier ones a try. If the ones you're looking at have the extra wide flange and non-standard bolt hole radius, they're likely Legends or from the same era. To me, those seem a tad darker than classic HIWATT Fanes, but nothing the HIWATT tone stack can't adjust for.

I stuck an '84 Fane (about a 30 watter, probably similar to the Vox one Phil mentioned) in a silverface Deluxe Reverb and it added the midrange grunt I was looking for. Like I said, if the price is right, experiment and let us know how it goes!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
thames

Post by thames »

seller is asking 400$...
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

That's probably a fair price, they're kind of hard to find especially a quad. Phil
thames

Post by thames »

Sure it is, Im gonna grab it shortly.
80s Fane cant be wrong, heart alot of good comments about them.
jcmh1

Post by jcmh1 »

I think the 80's Fanes are probably fine, but think the $400 may a bit on the high side. Assuming it is a local sale, I can't imagine there are a lot of people lining up near Chicoutimi, Quebec to buy them ... try 300 and see where you get. Good deals do come along if you are willing to wait.

j
thames

Post by thames »

jcmh1 wrote:I think the 80's Fanes are probably fine, but think the $400 may a bit on the high side. Assuming it is a local sale, I can't imagine there are a lot of people lining up near Chicoutimi, Quebec to buy them ... try 300 and see where you get. Good deals do come along if you are willing to wait.

j

I already tried to go lower than 400$ and it was impossible. Pretty funny as the cab has been discussed few weeks/months ago here ... :)
I have a buddy in Labador who is selling a MOJO 4x12 loaded with Splawn SmallBlocks speakers that I could get for 500$ shipped... The Mojo cab is surely on par or higher quality than this '85 Hiwatt, and the Splawn Small Blocks are in fact custom-made Emi's, greenback-style speakers with 55w power handling (probably very close to Private Jack, but not the same). Users state this is a GB-style speaker, with much tighter bass and sweeter highs, more neutral than a GB, but still very punchy. Im tempted, moreover the cab is straight with saltnpeppa grill cloth.... :)
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

thames wrote: I already tried to go lower than 400$ and it was impossible.
Did the $400 include the cab? If so, that seems like a good price. Then again, that Mojo cab sounds like a deal, too. Decisions, decisions :? .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
thames

Post by thames »

OldSchoolDave wrote:
thames wrote: I already tried to go lower than 400$ and it was impossible.
Did the $400 include the cab? If so, that seems like a good price. Then again, that Mojo cab sounds like a deal, too. Decisions, decisions :? .

Dave

Of course, cab included. All original. Front-loaded speakers. A LA412 cab, some say they are made in Modesto, CA. but this one has a Made in england badge on the back...
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

That's the exact same cabinet that I have, I love it! $400 is a really good deal for the loaded cab. Phil
thames

Post by thames »

To conclude this discussion, I bought the cab, I am more than happy with it.. an amazing cab/tone. I love the Fane "bark" and voicing. Stellar. See my post on Reissue board.