Introduce yourself

News and announcements pertaining to this Discussion Board in general.

Moderator: Mods

OldSchoolDave

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GreenSteam wrote: I've owned and played a magnificent Hiwatt FL112 Combo for about 17 years and I've never met another soul who owned one. I’m not even sure if a ’78 FL112 qualifies as vintage but I’d be interested to hear from other owners.
Welcome, GreenSteam! Yes, your '78 FL112 is a Vintage Hiwatt and I know of one other person, "Hiwatt Bob" who owns one. He's been rather busy with his little one these days, but I expect he'll read and respond to this eventually. By the way, do you know what the "FL" stands for :mrgreen: ?

If setting up a photobucket (or similar) account is a hassle, you can try the "Upload Attachment" function here. If that fails, email it to: vhr_support -AT- vintagehiwattrestorations -DOT- com and I'll upload from the server side.

regards,
Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
GreenSteam

Post by GreenSteam »

Thanks Dave,
OldSchoolDave wrote:
By the way, do you know what the "FL" stands for ?
I'm guessing it's something along the lines of ' :!: loud' ? :D

Oh duh!- didn't see the 'upload attachment'. Maybe it's affected my eyesight too? I'll take some nice photos today...

Paul
'til deaf do us part... FL112 serial 12142
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GreenSteam wrote: I'm guessing it's something along the lines of ' :!: loud' ? :D
You got it :mrgreen: .

Glynn Reeves shared the story with us at a past Vintage Hiwatt Convention. Of course, he tells it better than I, but his dad, Dave Reeves, walked by the proto of the 100 watt combo being put through its paces, winced and said; "That's f'ng loud!". And so, the FL112 was christened.

Dave

D-Max

Post by D-Max »

Hi,

I new here, so I just wanted to say hi!
Being a Marshall guy (but that's changing), I have been on the metro and plexi forums for years.
I recently played a new (MG) Hiwatt Custom 50....I think I have been caught by the Hiwatt virus, so I signed up to this forum.

Cheers!
steve

Post by steve »

Hello All,

I wanted to say hello and thanks to the forum members who've contributed some great information to this board.

I went from cheap practice amps -> VG modeling -> Hiwatt over the years and I'm very happy with my current rig, although I wish I hadn't taken so long to find it.

Thanks to VHR - just got filter caps to replace my original set, and thanks to mhuss and his site for the wealth of info there too.

Cheers!
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome D-Max & Steve! Glad to have you aboard!

Dave

GreenSteam

Post by GreenSteam »

Here it is... certainly not immaculate having been in and out of car boots with all the other gear... and it needs a dust! Embarrassing really but it's been in fairly regular use as long as I've owned it; a real workhorse that's never missed a note except for some maintenance... the dust cap on the speaker is a replacement. What should I be looking for inside it?
Attachments
IMG_0645.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
'til deaf do us part... FL112 serial 12142
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Hi everyone
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a VHR 100 kit, and have been looking around here... great site!
I already know many of you from P/P, and know I'm in the right place.

Cheers
Sean
Rickenbacker 60's & early 70's 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight), Hi-Tone & Reeves Amplification
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome Sean! We'll have to do something about that avatar though ;) .

Dave

xsubs

Post by xsubs »

I know... SORRY! :oops:
I will have to change it anyway, and alter my sig, as I just got rid of my AD200. I'm keeping the cabs though, at least until Bill ships the new Reeves bass cabs. 8)
The proceeds from the Orange head will be used to build the VHR kit... at least that's what I'm thinking, but the Reeves looks good... as does a vintage DR103! Too many good choices...
Rickenbacker 60's & early 70's 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight), Hi-Tone & Reeves Amplification
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

xsubs wrote:I know... SORRY! :oops:
Just giving you a hard time :) .

Orange stuff is cool. I had an empty Orange 4x12 cab that someone had spray painted black (the grill and emblems were, thankfully, unmolested). Wound up trading it to a guy who had an empty Hiwatt 4x12 cab that someone had stripped the tolex from and stained (you guessed it), ORANGE. I still like it - even though mikhailwatt gives me cr@p about it ;) .

Dave

James Hart

Post by James Hart »

Another new guy! I've been lurking for a little bit reading all the pearls of wisdom I can collect from this fine site. I'll be building a DR-103 clone of sorts this winter... not a kit, but most of what is offered in it will be ordered :)

FWIW: I'm a bassist of the extended range kind who can't shake the tones of John Wetton, Robert Fripp, David Gilmour, John and Pete circa 1970 at Leeds and Wight... the boys in Jethro Tull that year in Wight too... etc etc etc. I am not a frustrated guitarist any more than a baritone guitar makes a guitarist a frustrated bassist, but definitely understand how I could be perceived as such. I play extended range electric bass guitar... for myself, not for any other person/player/listeners preconceived role... just me 8) if others dig it... that's more than fine with me too.

here is a youtube playing my main bass through a few effects direct to my sound card.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GH84kBdMg

Anyway, thanks to all involved in keeping this thing running and for all the 'right' parts to be here at one source!
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome James!
with your taste in music, I think you will fit right in!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Mike B.

Post by Mike B. »

My real name is H.Bob and I like airports and chili dogs...

H.Bob
"Nowadays if you're the young man...."

Support Commercial Free Conventions
midifarm

Post by midifarm »

Just thought I'd say hey. In the coming months I will be scouring the world for a nice 1974 DR103 at a fair price. Lord knows if I'll accomplish said goal, but I'm going to try.