Introduce yourself

News and announcements pertaining to this Discussion Board in general.

Moderator: Mods

OldSchoolDave

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Welcome, Bill!

Good luck with your build. Make sure to take lots of pictures along the way.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome Bill!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Welcome aboard. :)

--mark
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

Hello!

Angus here... been lurking around here for some time :mrgreen:

I must first of all mention a very big thanks to Mark Huss for his help & advice... much appreciated Mark!

Um... yeah... So why am I here again...? Must be something to do with the contents of this old box I have lurking around the place... hmm... go check it out in the Hylight section if you are that curious :mrgreen: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Larry B

Post by Larry B »

Just found you guy's, sorry I'm not a web head. Great site. I own a '74 100 Custom and an '80 4x12 cab with Fane speakers. I use it for bass recording and occasional live shows. Not as often these days but I still love the thing.
Larry
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Hi Larry,
Welcome to the Vintage HIWATT Forum!

DR-F
m.heeve

Post by m.heeve »

Hello Hiwatt Land, my name is Mark go by M.Heeve in cyber land, thats short for Heevahava. Stumbled upon this site a few days ago , have been reading posts voraciously. I play a Hiwatt 100 watt head, been told its a 1978, its at practice space right now but i'll get the numbers. Recently i been having a bad buzz in my bottom right speaker, i thought this hiwatt cab 2 be 1978 also but now i question this. There is no numbers on cab. inside is Fane Heavy Duty Loud Speakers, made by fane acoustics in Bailey Yorkshire. Stamped baskets. There are 2 numbers on speaker, one is 125159 as best as i could read it. the other is 58028. i was wondering if that latter number is a manufacture date? I've been happy with my sound since 1999 when i acquired this beast. i don't want to screw up my sound so i'm trying to get this speaker repaired. I like a tight fierce sound. Don't use effects. have KT-90's in it and i seem to like the regular Tung-sols 12ax7's alright. Its real cool to have found you all.
M. Heeve
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome to the Vintage HIWATT Forum!
I suspect that the speakers in question are probably model # 125155. Sometimes the stampings are difficult to read.

I would check the impedance on the speakers with a digital multi meter and see if they all read closely to each other. if so, check out the Voice Coil Rub fix here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22

DR-F
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

m.heeve wrote:There are 2 numbers on speaker, one is 125159 as best as i could read it. the other is 58028. i was wondering if that latter number is a manufacture date?
Welcome!

Some time around 1980, Fane seems to have changed their date coding system. From what I have seen on the black painted, stamped frame models, I'd say yours were produced in 1980 - maybe in the 28th week ... or on May 28th (?) . There's still a lot of mystery surrounding that version of codes. Some have extra zeros, so both model and date codes have 8 characters. Here are pics of two speakers with approximately the same production dates - but different codes. Confusing stuff :? .
Fane code 8 digits.jpg
Fane code 8 digits.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Fane code no extra digits.jpg
Fane code no extra digits.jpg (198.64 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Then again, the 80's were kinda like that for a lot of people ;) .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
evel1

Post by evel1 »

Greetings Gentleman,

I am a long time Gilmour-ite and poster on the Gilmour Gear Forum, and I have been lurking aroun here for a few months. I have not yet introduced myself here as I am still trying to figure all of the posting particulars out. I will try to share (via photobucket) some pics of my gear.

I just purchased and received my VHR DR504, absolutely adore this amp. I am not too keen on the cheap and quick fix of a cabinet, actually, the cabinet sounds pretty good, it just lacks the beef. It is a BlackHeart 4X12 with Eminence British Voiced speakers; rated at 16 ohms. I fear I do myself and the EVELWATT a disservice by "settling", but it is going to have to do for a little bit. I have too much gear and have spent loads as of recent chasing tones.

The amp was "pro-built" and I will leave it to the "guilty" if they wish to take claim to it. You know who you are. ;)

There are more pics available at my photobucket site. If this post, or the images contained in it, are too much, please feel free to scold or edit as fit. I am behind the learning curve here. I have a few more toys, but again, I don't want to add too much to this. Pictured is my Gilmour Relic. My main guitar is a durty white MIM strat that has been relic'd and modded. It is my "Number One" for a reason.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if I have broken a cardinal rule with this post.

PS: Outside of my VHR addiction, I am also a Stomp Under Foot addict....if you couldn't tell by the pedalboard.
Same sig block applies here as the Gilmour one...

-Jeff

Individual tone and settings may apply, that said..."Shine On You Crazy Cowbell" - Dave
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome Jeff!

DR-F
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Welcome, Jeff!

Looks like whomever built the amp did a nice job. :wink: (I did)

--mark
evel1

Post by evel1 »

mhuss wrote:Welcome, Jeff!

Looks like whomever built the amp did a nice job. :wink: (I did)

--mark
I didn't want to throw you under the bus, or open the flood gates on you. Mark I am thoroughly impressed by your knowlegde and passion for these beasts!! I cannot say enough good about Clayton and yourself. I am truly honored that you perfromed the build for me.

I am thinking I'll do the DRF 2X12 cabinet around Christmas. :D

So, uh, when is the next VHC? ;)
Same sig block applies here as the Gilmour one...

-Jeff

Individual tone and settings may apply, that said..."Shine On You Crazy Cowbell" - Dave
snarfusmaximus

Post by snarfusmaximus »

Hello all,

My name is Emil and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I lusted after a Hiwatt for years due to my love of 70's era King Crimson and Jethro Tull. I have recently built a VHR DR103, which is documented in this gallery linked below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35799859@N ... 415184610/

My bass player / partner in crime uses a mid 70's DR405. We are firm believers in the Hiwatt sonic assault. :-)

Have fun!
Emil
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome Emil!

DR-F