Introduce yourself

News and announcements pertaining to this Discussion Board in general.

Moderator: Mods

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome to the Vintage HIWATT Forum Fabrizio!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Sieds

Post by Sieds »

Hi everyone. My name is Sieds and i'm basically a newbie in the entire guitar world.

About one year ago i have started to learn to play the guitar, taking lessons. Its not easy when you never ever had a guitar in your hands before and when you have reached the age of 43, but it's worth all the efforts :).

My musical interests are prog and sympho, and i´m very impressed by the Gilmour-sound. That's how i got to the Hiwatt amps. I´ve been educated originally in electronics, but changed to ICT pretty soon after. I figured building amps would make a nice combination of my old profession and the new hobby. And thats how i got to getting myself a VHR Custom 100 kit!

Sieds
warm_memorial

Post by warm_memorial »

Hello.

I’m an owner of a ’74 DR103 4-inputter. I’ve owned it for about 7 years. Last year, it was stolen from our practice space along with several other wonderful things. I went through all the stages of loss, but eventually settled into the ANGER stage for quite a while. Luckily enough, someone tried to sell it on ebay a few months after it was stolen and after some deliberation with various NC county police officers, it is now back under my watchful eye.

Since it made its way back, I thought I would go “all in”, join this group, and start pestering the group with random questions now and again.

Thanks!
H.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome to the Vintage HIWATT forum!

What a story! Glad you got your amp back!

DR-F
Empathy

Post by Empathy »

Hi!

I'm a Boston-based guitarist and a huge fan of Gilmour and Lifeson. As of Sunday, I am now a proud (actually downright giddy) owner of a 1977 DR103. I've always been a combo guy prior to this, so I've got no cab to use with it yet. Now the hunt for the perfect cab begins. So if anyone's hiding a Super Starfinder 200 somewhere, feel free to msg me. :wink: I'm looking forward to joining the community and pestering you all with my newbie Hiwatt questions.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome Empathy.

DR-F
Baxandall

Post by Baxandall »

Hi everybody,

My name is Tom Huff. I live in N.E. Ohio and just got my second lead100r. For $$ reasons I sold my first one back in '94. I know. I know. I couldn't find a Hylight era Custom 50 which is what I really want. The search continues.

The head came with a broken power switch. I'm going to run around today looking for a replacement switch then try and draw the police to the house.

Wish me luck.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Baxandall wrote:I'm going to run around today looking for a replacement switch then try and draw the police to the house.

Wish me luck.
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Vintage Hiwatt Forum! I believe the Marshall-type rocker switches work as replacements for those - but check to be sure.

Best of luck, from S.W. Ohio :) !

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

I'll vouch for Baxandall, he's good people. Baxxy, you should go to the Hiwatt convention sometime--not too far from you (Columbus, IN).
Baxandall

Post by Baxandall »

Hiwatt Bob wrote:I'll vouch for Baxandall, he's good people. Baxxy, you should go to the Hiwatt convention sometime--not too far from you (Columbus, IN).
Hey there! I'll go if you go. :D
gcaplan

Post by gcaplan »

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself.
I'm Gilles, a 57 year old frenchie. But still rock'n'roll!

We founded our first pop-group in '71, for years. After a loooooooong time ( 30 years ?? ) of wait we rebuilt that group.
Without 'Gégé-the-drummer', who joined Bonzo and Jimi and the others.

So Henri aka 'Kiki' my bassman brother joined us, and yet we are 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drum and 1 percussion, this give us a santana taste to all songs.

I read VHR forums since a long time, hesitate and finally 'made the jump' ( is that expression correct ? word-to-word translation ! ).
Past year I bought a used Reeves custom 50, very rare here on this side of atlantic ocean.
Need to be back on original specs, a strange mod had be done by former owner ( not 'canadian mode' ).
My technician made this reverse quickly, now it's near a good old Custom 50.
And I connect it to used Hiwatt HG412.
This cab is well made, 18mm plywood, solid. No fane inside : 2 G12T100 and I swaped the 2 others with Tonkers. Not as fane-ish as 40 years ago, but nice.

Backups are my old Mi60, a marshall-like french amp of the seventies. A Ceria Plexi also with home-made vertical cabinet with Tayden, best choice here in Europe for price.
And I pluged all my strats - unfortunately i selled my 1972 swamp strat in the eighties.
So AM TS or JPN strat with Fralins, some boost pedals and 'en avant' : on gigs Hiwatt sensations are the best for me.

So guys i thank you very much for all my evenings and nights, when I spent hours on reading your forums, congratulations !

Have a nice time,

Gilles
Attachments
IMG_3419Red.jpg
IMG_3419Red.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Welcome aboard!

Nice collection you have there, only thing missing is a Hylight! :wink:

--mark
Hi Matt

Post by Hi Matt »

Hi,
My name is Matthias.
I'm from France and consider myself a beginner guitarist.
Although I like a lot of artists' music, I admire David Gilmour a lot. Pink Floyd/Gilmour music touches me really deep.
So now I guess you all know how I became interested in Hiwatts. I became so interested that I bought a wonderful 76's Hylight DR103 Hiwatt, although I sometime feel my sloppy playing doesn't deserve such a nice amp.
I replaced the capacitors and I'm now in search for nice tubes to put inside it (I'll create a thread on that for advice if you don't mind). It came with Sovteks I don't appreciate much.
I'm really glad to be in the Hiwatt family now.
Have a good day everyone,
Matthias
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Welcome Matt,
Congrats on acquiring a real HIWATT!

DR-F
Kodou

Post by Kodou »

Hi guys,

My name's Matt and I hail from Melbourne, Australia.
Tomorrow night I finally achieve my musical goal and take possession of a 1978 Hiwatt DR103 with a 1977 Fane loaded 4x12.
I was tossing up between a Marshall JTM45/100 40th Anniversary Full Stack and the DR103 however three things swayed me to keep with my dream.

1. I watched Pulse
2. I listened to Live At Leeds
3. I was told some wise words...

"If you want a nice sounding Fender, buy a Fender"
"If you want a nice sounding Marshall, buy a Hiwatt".

:lol:

I only have pictures that the current owner sent me however I plan on taking some detailed ones when I get it.

EDIT:
Actually, I do have one quick question.

When re-tubing a Hiwatt with Power Valves do you need to have it re-biased or do you just put in a matched quad that can handle a DR103 and let it do its thing?