incoming...

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

Gregc

incoming...

Post by Gregc »

Can you savy folk take a look and let me know if this looks original? If not, where may it have gone wrong? I worked a trade for this and it's on its way~
Thanks.

OldSchoolDave

Re: incoming...

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Looks to be a relatively unmolested DR504 prepared for the Canadian market (fixed Mains voltage and Ontario Hydro sticker). The yellow wire wandering about under the big turret board would seem to indicate it once had the "Canadian Mod", but was reverted to stock ( http://hiwatt.org/ca_mod.html ).

Should be a solid performer - congrats!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Gregc

Post by Gregc »

Thanks, Dave. You confirmed what my thoughts were. I'll neaten up any sloppy wiring and give it a good once over when it arrives. I'm excited and more than curious how it performs going head to head with a Reeves Custom 50 I have here.
Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it!
Greg
Gregc

Post by Gregc »

Amp arrived yesterday. Looks good. A couple resistors have been replaced and it was recapped somewhere along the road. A couple pots were swapped out at some point. Nice Alphas were used. . It sounds great, especially through the 212 hi-tone, loaded with DRs. It's biased nicely and the output tubes are closely matched (winged C). A nice Telefunken resides in V1. The standby switch bat was bent and I tried to bend it back. The cheap pot metal bat busted off. Home Depot had the perfect replacement. It's all better now.
Question: it looks like a 1980. Was the PI a 12ax7 then or were they still using the lower gain tube? This has a modern 12ax7 tube in there now. I'm tempted to try it with a lower gain tube. Right now, there's a lot of gain if you want it.
Thanks, fellas!
Greg
Gregc

Post by Gregc »

One power tube socket was also replaced.....
jrsdws

Post by jrsdws »

Gregc wrote: Right now, there's a lot of gain if you want it.
Mine is running all 12AX7 throughout preamp and there is plenty of gain to be had.

Congrats on your amp!!!
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Gregc wrote:A nice Telefunken resides in V1.
While some will claim nothing beats a Mullard ECC83 in V1, Teles sound very, very good!
Gregc wrote:Question: it looks like a 1980. Was the PI a 12ax7 then or were they still using the lower gain tube?
By that time, ECC83/12AX7 were used all across the preamp. It's your option, though. The amp will take an ECC81/12AT7 in the PI without any trouble.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
mhuss
Site Admin

Post by mhuss »

Nice score! I would suggest trying a 12AT7 and see which you like better. :)

--mark