Hiwatt sighting at RnR H-o-F

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

OldSchoolDave

Hiwatt sighting at RnR H-o-F

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Took a day to drive up to Cleveland and tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. To those that haven't been, I recommend making plans to do so. There are some amazing articles on display. Yet, as we were driving home, we discussed a lot of bands/genres that weren't represented. Far too much material to cover in one place, I guess.

Anyway, as one enters the exhibit, there's a 12 minute intro film presented in a theater. Off to the right of the queueing area, I spotted this:
Whose_Hiwatt_is_that.jpg
Whose_Hiwatt_is_that.jpg (216.59 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Then, I got scolded for taking pictures :shock: . Oops. Didn't see or read anything prohibiting photography (especially, non-flash). Upon further review, I did find such language in the program. Sorry. But, isn't Rock and Roll all about breaking the rules ;) ?

When we reached that part of the display, a plaque revealed the CP103 and 4x12 cab were on loan from the collection of Joe Walsh. The cab was an early, metal badge model. The CP103 had a traffolyte badge. Not sure if the case was a repro or an original later issue. Anyway, it was one of the few amps on display. Lots of guitars scattered about. The only amps I recall are one of Duane Eddy's heads, the Pete Townsend half stack and this Rube Goldberg-esque setup of the late Quicksilver Messenger Service's John Cipollina:

http://www.johncipollina.com/rockAmpStack.htm

In summary, long drive, less than ideal weather, but a great destination. Cleveland Rocks!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Hamtone

Re: Hiwatt sighting at RnR H-o-F

Post by Hamtone »

Joe Walsh was a Hiwatt user?

Too bad about the photography...that seems like an awfully stupid to not allow photography. Its not as if there is any damage from the flash or something. :?
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Hamtone wrote:Joe Walsh was a Hiwatt user?
Dunno. At least somewhat of a collector.
Hamtone wrote:...that seems like an awfully stupid to not allow photography. Its not as if there is any damage from the flash or something. :?
I can see the concern with original lyric scribbles and certain clothing articles. But, the amps and guitars on display had certainly been subjected to their fair share of flash photography, toxic air and beer spillage :? . Guess they'd rather sell coffee table books than let visitors snap their own mementos.

Dave

Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Joe used HIWATTs for a while with the James Gang in the early 1970's.

I have seen pics of him on stage with them.

Somewhere...................?
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
Brown Brown

Post by Brown Brown »

James Gang circa 1971
James Gang circa 1971
James Gang.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

Hello fellow Hiwatt enthusiasts. Yes, it is true that Joe Walsh used Hiwatts toward the end of his tenure with the James Gang. Here's a photo of Joe using his Hiwatt with the James Gang. Anyway, this should help verify the legend. Glad to help out fellow James Gang and Hiwatt fans!

I saw him live on stage at the Ohio State Fair in late August, 1971 and he was using the Hiwatt that Townshend gave him along with a goldtop Les Paul and wearing a cool black gaucho looking outfit with silver spangles down the jacket sleeves and pants legs. Incredible concert that made a life long impression. Come to think of it, that was the first real concert by a big name band I ever attended.

He was using the Hiwatt on the record "James Gang Captured Live In Concert" too. This I read in a reply from Joe himself to a fan on his website a while back. I chased that tone for years and wore out two vinyl LPs. Sorry I don't have a link.

This other photo is Barnstorm with Joe wearing that black spanish looking outfit. A lot cooler than spandex. Thought I'd throw it in.
Barnstorming
Barnstorming
Barnstorming.jpg (66.63 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Brown Brown wrote: Glad to help out fellow James Gang and Hiwatt fans!
Cool photos - thanks for posting them!

James Gang would have been fun to see back in the day. I'm envious.

My first concert was Grand Funk Railroad in Milwaukee (Black Oak Arkansas opened), around 1970. Our whole band had driven down for the show. Our drummer got busted for pot by undercover cops and we had to head home without him. Ah, the good old days :( ????

Dave