Any idea if these are what they claim to be

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

Thedroog

Any idea if these are what they claim to be

Post by Thedroog »

Hello peeps and thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

I aquired 4 loose speakers and two sound city cabs from a friend of mine who says her got them from a mate of his who is apparantly the son of David Reeves.
He said he had loads of spares still in his garage and he managed to get these two cabs and speakers from him.
This is not as far fetched as it seems as I do know for a fact he did live very near to me in New Malden\Kingston
I was hoping someone could offer me some expert opinions of what exactly I have.
Firstly the 4 loose speakers have no markings on them whatsoever except a serial number on each one.
Here is the serial number from one of them 8/48/90 (pics included)
The two sound city cabs are marked on the back PA 60/E. They are tall and thin and are loaded with 2 x 10 inch speakers in each one.
I have yet to open them so am not yet sure what markings the speakers inside have. The rear of the cabs each has a metal plate with DALLAS MUSIC INDUSTRIES LTD, model number PA 60/E serial number 74052484
I guess I would like to know A if the loose speakers really are hiwatts and if so are they worth anything? And the same goes for the speaker cabs.
I know they are for a PA but have also been told they are commonly used for guitars also. I know they are Sound City but as there is a Hiwatt connection was hoping someone knew anything about them
thanks for your time :D
Attachments
DSCN0257.gif
DSCN0257.gif (67.13 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
DSCN0256.gif
DSCN0256.gif (108.59 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Any idea if these are what they claim to be

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

sorry, but no HIWATT connection what so ever.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Thedroog wrote: I guess I would like to know A if the loose speakers really are hiwatts and if so are they worth anything? And the same goes for the speaker cabs.
I know they are for a PA but have also been told they are commonly used for guitars also.
The loose speaker in the pic appears to have been made by Fane, but further assumptions can't be made. Can you see a cone code on any of them? On the bright side, the magnets look substantial. So, they may sound good and handle reasonable power. They just don't have the collectability of a Hiwatt Fane.

As for the PA speakers, shine a bright light into the grill to see if there are dual (whizzer) cones on each speaker. You may need to remove one to be sure. If they are whizzer cones, they were intended for fuller range applications (PA / Organ / sometimes Bass) and generally aren't suitable for guitar (other than ultra clean). Being 10" speakers, they may be less in demand (most guitar amps use 12").

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
buster

Post by buster »

Thedroog wrote:Hello peeps and thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

I aquired 4 loose speakers and two sound city cabs from a friend of mine who says her got them from a mate of his who is apparantly the son of David Reeves.
He said he had loads of spares still in his garage and he managed to get these two cabs and speakers from him.
:D
Hi.

What's your friends name?
Dave Reeves had 2 sons,which one did he know?
What other stuff did he have in his garage?
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

:mrgreen:
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I wonder if "thedroog" is just a troll?
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F