Advice for tubes in a 76s Hylight DR103

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

Hi Matt

Advice for tubes in a 76s Hylight DR103

Post by Hi Matt »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the board and recently acquired a nice 76s Hylight DR103. I replaced the caps but still want to change the tubes. It came with sovteks I don't appreciate much.

What would you recommand as preamp and power tubes? From earlier threads, I was thinking about putting:
V1: A Mullard. I found someone selling Mullard ECC83 I63 for not to much. But what about a Mullard CV4004 in that place? Would it sound nice? I read a few times that it works best in Hi-Fi and not to much guitar amps. Would you advise something else?
V2: JJ ECC83s
PI: Mullard CV4024
V3: JJ ECC83s

As power tubes, I was thinking about Winged "C". Supposed to sound good and don't necessarily required a bias mod as they're pretty strong tubes.

What do you think of these? What would you recommand or what's the best combination you found (without paying the price of the amp just for the tubes...)?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Matthias
Hi Matt

Re: Advice for tubes in a 76s Hylight DR103

Post by Hi Matt »

Ok, let's try to make a more precise question.
I'm pretty sure I'll try the tubes I described except for V1. I know that's where I should put the best tube but I really don't know what to choose. How does a Mullard CV4004 would compare to a Mullard ECC83 in that place?
Any other favorite tube for V1?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Matthias
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Re: Advice for tubes in a 76s Hylight DR103

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

mullard cv4004 is excellent in V1 as is an I61 or I63 mullard.
They all vary slightly, so the best recommendation is to try them all if you can afford to.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F