What's your favorite pickup with your Hiwatt

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

dirtybird

What's your favorite pickup with your Hiwatt

Post by dirtybird »

I just picked up my first vintage Hiwatt ('77 DR103) and I'm now looking to dial in a great tone so I thought I would ask for the opinions of those who've been using vintage Hiwatts for awhile.

I realize what makes a "great tone" is ultimately subjective and a lot of different things go into making one (like the strings, the cabinet, the pick etc.) but still want to hear your thoughts/experience with Hiwatts and pickups.

Thanks! ... and sorry if this topic has already been beat to death on other posts. As you can tell, I'm new to vintage Hiwatts.
mikhailwatt

Re: What's your favorite pickup with your Hiwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

dirtybird wrote:I realize what makes a "great tone" is ultimately subjective and a lot of different things go into making one (like the strings, the cabinet, the pick etc.) but still want to hear your thoughts/experience with Hiwatts and pickups.
What type of guitar?

I'm really happy with the Smits (http://smitspickups.com/) CC2 humbucker set. Nice vintage PAF sound. Perfect into a cranked DR103 or '504 + vintage SE4123 cab.
I had Duncan '59s before and they were missing something, too mid-scooped and sterile sounding IMO.

FWIW :roll::
Dunlop Nylon .88mm picks
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky .009 - .046
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

dirtybird wrote: I realize what makes a "great tone" is ultimately subjective and a lot of different things go into making one ...
You're right there! That said, there's something magic about P-90's into a vintage Hiwatt / Fane setup.

Listen to some of the clips from the 2007 Vintage Hiwatt Convention. Most of those guitars had humbuckers (Les Pauls and Les Paul clones).

It also seems to me that there was this ONE guy who played a Strat into some Hiwatts (the name escapes me at the moment ...Floyd something, I think ;) ).

I've got a G&L Legacy (Strat) Special with rail pickups. They sound great until the guitar is wide open - then they get a little raspy.

Try 'em all, I say :) !

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Congrats!
Vintage HIWATTs are so versatile that it is hard to answer your question.
Is it a Strat type, Tele type, Les Paul Type, SG type, Hollow body, etc, etc.

-I have a very early set of Dr.Vintage wolfetone HB's in my R9 Les Paul, that I like, but I am tempted to try the new Throbaks.
-original P-90s in a 1969 SG special that is one powerfully, bold, nasty rocker!
-Gibson 57 classics in an ES339
-a couple of stock G&Ls that sound good.

I think I prefer vintage style low output pups...

Tell us more about your guitars!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

Hi mikhailwatt,

Thanks for you input!

My main workhorse is a Les Paul with Gibson reissue '57 Classic PAFs (both bridge and neck) using DR Tite-fit 10-46 and a heavy pick. I've got the strings set on the higher side. It allows me to really dig into them when I need to.

I occasionally use an SG Custom Special reissue with P-90s that came stock with it.

Hey OldschoolDave,

After my first day with my "new" DR103, I'm leaning a bit more towards the P-90s than the humbuckers. Especially when I use an EQ pedal. It really jumps to life.

Are you familiar with Lindy Fralin P-90s and Hiwatts?

oh, by the way, ... which one's Pink?
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

dirtybird wrote: Are you familiar with Lindy Fralin P-90s and Hiwatts?
Never been much of a hot-rodder in that respect. Either a guitar's got it, or it doesn't (for me). I've heard the Lindy Fralin name tossed around positively, so I expect they'd be an improvement over the current OEM pups.
dirtybird wrote:oh, by the way, ... which one's Pink?
That's the guy ;) !

Dave

mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

Dr.HIWATT wrote:Gibson 57 classics in an ES339
That is a nice geetar. It would be really nice with some good (hand/scatter wound) pickups.
dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

Hey Doc,

Your '69 SG must get that classic Who/Townsend sound down pat. ... I like the lower output pups too.

BTW, do you know why Townsend doesn't play through Hiwatts anymore? Maybe he still does, but all the recent stuff I hear/see from him lately, it looks like Fender amps and guitars.
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

yeah, the SG is pure and simple rock and roll!

There has been lots of speculation about Townshend, but I bet only he really knows why he uses Fenders now instead of HIWATTs. They sure sound a lot more wimpy nowadays, then they did in the 1970's!

I am not certain that he even owns any HIWATTs anymore.

DR-F
dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

Mikhailwatt, I went to the Smits site and they look/sound promising. How did you get hooked on them?

Hey Doc (if you don't mind me calling you that Dr.HIWATT), OldSchoolDave and Mikhailwatt thanks for chiming in with your opinions. It's appreciated.

I've been doing some more tone dailing-in tonight and found I'm starting to understand how my amp reacts to various setting/pups. ... My first night with it, I was all over the map. I'm finding out if I'm not careful, she can get out of hand real quick! ... Just ask my wife. :oops:

Perhaps its just me, but I'm starting to sense the vintage Hiwatt each have their own individualistic personality. I get the feeling even if I had another Hiwatt of the same make, model and year it would have it's own flavor and respond differently compared to the one I own. ... Has that been your experience with them?
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Doc is fine!

I am not sure that each has their own individuality, like guitars that are so dependent on the wood. But there are certainly differences when you start going a couple of years earlier or later.

DR-F
mikhailwatt

Post by mikhailwatt »

dirtybird wrote:How did you get hooked on them?
They were highly recommended at the Metroamp forum, so I rolled the dice. Didn't crap out!

IME - HIWATTs are fairly consistent, some are cleaner than others, but the TONE is really in the unique tonestack and OT, which stayed consistent from early on.
dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

mikhailwatt wrote:They were highly recommended at the Metroamp forum, so I rolled the dice. Didn't crap out!
Sometimes its worthwhile to roll the dice once in awhile. :lol: It keeps you on your toes.

After giving it some thought, I'm going to try out a set of Lollar P-90s on my Custom SG Special. From what I've read and heard, they are scatter wound with de-gaussed Alnicos to give them a lower (more vintage) output than what fresh Alincos would give you.
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

dirtybird wrote: After giving it some thought, I'm going to try out a set of Lollar P-90s on my Custom SG Special.
Sounds like a plan. Let us know the results!

Dave

dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

OldSchoolDave wrote:Sounds like a plan. Let us know the results!
Sure, no problem. I'll try to give an informed review. :lol: