FL112 100watt Bulldog Combo

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

GreenSteam

FL112 100watt Bulldog Combo

Post by GreenSteam »

Hi, I'm new but have owned an FL112 for over 15 years, and I'm keen to hear if there are other owners out there, other than the one on ebay at the moment....item 380065247863. Is it worth that much?
How many of us are there in the wild?
Paul
'til deaf do us part... FL112 serial 12142
OldSchoolDave

Re: FL112 100watt Bulldog Combo

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GreenSteam wrote:Is it worth that much?
That seller has been listing that amp for a long time. If memory serves, his B-I-N used to be around $2900 US. So, he's lowered his price but revealed less information this time around... Again, if I'm not mixing this FL112 up, it's got a Celestion Sidewinder speaker in it. Not stock and not all that desireable, IMHO. It would take more detailed photos to determine the value of that particular amp.

In general, combos are less sought after than heads - for whatever reason. I own an SA112 and an SA212 (plus "one or two" other heads & cabs). The combos are sleepers. Keep in mind, your FL112 is really an upside-down mounted DR103 plus a speaker. In theory, that should be worth more than a DR103 alone. The market, however, dictates otherwise.

See my post to you in the "Introduce yourself" thread re: another "distinquished" FL112 owner, shown here with "a few" of his effects pedals at the 2007 Vintage Hiwatt Convention (aka VHC II):

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
GreenSteam

Post by GreenSteam »

My ears sting just looking at that Dave... I note the SG- I reckon SG+Hiwatt= Heaven. I play an SG too. The youngsters I've played with over the last few years have been in awe of the output of the Hiwatt. They have stacks that look impressive but sound... well, less than convincing and I've given up on effects. The pure sound of that amp wound up is awesome. I particularly love the way it goes from a sweet clean to that unique distortion without touching a thing. Why would one want for anything else? :D
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GreenSteam wrote:Why would one want for anything else? :D
Excellent question. Because they don't know any better, perhaps ;) ?

On the other hand, if everyone wanted what a vintage Hiwatt offers, there wouldn't be enough to go around...

Dave

GreenSteam

Post by GreenSteam »

I have a small favour to ask Dave, do you reckon you could possibly post a photo of the back of your amp sometime? Mine has a plain piece of ply across the back, doesn't look like it belongs there. Just curious.
Paul
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GreenSteam wrote:I have a small favour to ask Dave, do you reckon you could possibly post a photo of the back of your amp sometime?
Hey Paul,

I'm doing um, er, HIWATT RESEARCH in a remote location at the moment, (with umbrella drink in hand ;) ) but will try to get you some pics as soon as possible. Perhaps as early as next week?

Dave

EDIT: This one isn't mine, but it might tell you what you need to know:

Packing to leave paradise :( ,

Dave

GreenSteam

Post by GreenSteam »

Thanks Dave, I understand how important HIWATT RESEARCH (particularly with umbrella drinks) is, and it must continue. I'm currently studying the effect of local and imported beer on the tone of an FL112... 15 years research.... I'm close to a breakthrough.... I think I'd answered my own question since that post, (from mhuss's site) and your pic confirms it. It looks like the previous owner may have thought the original back may have hindered cooling or sound? Philistine. The swine (flu upon him). Is that original vinyl type covering still available? At least then i could replicate the original bit for my peace of mind....

Yours in hearing loss (thanks to drummers)

Paul
You heard this old gem? (I have played drums in the past so no hurt intended) What did the drummer get on the IQ test?

A: saliva
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Paul,

Best of luck in your extended import-export beer/FL112 research project. I know we're all better off thanks to your dedication to duty :mrgreen: .

It is possible to get that vynide. VHR sells it here: http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.co ... ucts_id=33 .

Not sure if there is a closer source to you?

Back from the land of umbrella drinks :( ,

Dave

countdecibel

Post by countdecibel »

Dear GreenSteam: Count Decibel owns Two (2) FL112s....