Advice on protecting an amp and cab at gigs???

Forum for pedal, guitar and off-topic discussions.

Moderator: Mods

GigawattCustom121

Advice on protecting an amp and cab at gigs???

Post by GigawattCustom121 »

Last edited by GigawattCustom121 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The faster you play, the fewer woman will be at your shows" ~Scott Henderson
mhuss
Site Admin

Re: Advice on protecting an amp and cab at gigs???

Post by mhuss »

Sadly, the Hylight-style Vynyde tears *really* easily (particularly the stuff they are making nowadays). The only way to keep it pristine is to use road cases (and a lot of 'careful').

--mark
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

Sorry to hear about the amp-owie. I'm still doing penance for all the years my equipment traveled without proper protection by putting everything I can in flight cases. Almost bought one for my picks the other day (o.k., THAT's an exaggeration :mrgreen: ).

Genuine Anvil is the way to go, if the budget allows. There are some other brands that offer very similar quality (Calzone and Star, for example). The good news is, they're typically reasonable on the used market.

The bargain cases offered on ebay aren't of the same quality (i.e., they use the term "ATA" loosely) but can be adequate for "normal" handling. I've got one of those with a side compartment perfect for holding power and speaker cords.

Because of the already considerable weight of a Hiwatt head, a case with wheels is worth considering.

If "Style Points" aren't important, head down to your local lumber yard for some plywood, chest handles, casters and foam. That would allow you the luxury of designing a multifunction solution. Just remember to keep any DYI cases narrower than a standard door frame...

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
ignition

Post by ignition »

If you want something between a slip cover and a road case, check out Tuki Covers. They're a padded foam canvas cover that protects well. Good for short tours where you're not throwing gear into a giant trailer. Also keeps people from setting their drinks on top of your nice head.
Chris9723

Post by Chris9723 »

Brazilian ju jitsu...... :D
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

Chris9723 wrote:Brazilian ju jitsu...... :D

:lol:
that is funny!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
GigawattCustom121

Last edited by GigawattCustom121 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GigawattCustom121

OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

GigawattCustom121 wrote:Dave, are you talking about the XCase company on ebay???
No, I was thinking of Angstrom at the time of posting. They're a popular provider of mid-cost cases. Took a quick look at XCase and I'm not seeing the rivets at 2 - 3" on center, required by the ATA 300 specification (also missing from Angstroms). Doesn't mean they're cases aren't decent. They just may not hold up to uncaring roadies and big trucks. If you're hauling your amp yourself, shouldn't be a problem.

The real abuser of the ATA term is New York Case Company (nycase). Their low cost cases use surface mount hardware, vinyl laminate and carpet lining. Even with their "upgrades", they're using surface mount handles. I'd avoid those...even with "the Chuckster" running interference ;) .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

"Thank You, Chuck Norris!"

Dodgeball - what a classic movie!
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F