Buying Guidance Please!

HIWATT amps from the Hylight Electronics era

Moderator: Mods

mattoreg

Re: Buying Guidance Please!

Post by mattoreg »

Damn, someone just bought it!!!

Dr. HIWATT, did you just buy it?! I'd been watching the auction for a couple days, then as soon as I post it on this site it sells!!! Jeez... lessoned learned or coincidence?

Matt
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

not me, but I knew it wouldn't last long.

I have never done that to anyone.
http://www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

HI-TONE, when only the best will do.

DR-F
OldSchoolDave

Post by OldSchoolDave »

mattoreg wrote:Jeez... lessoned learned or coincidence?
Hope it's the latter. There's kind of an unwritten law that says one doesn't ace out a fellow forum member who has expressed an interest.

Sorry you missed that one. Would have served you well. Not sure why "Stu Whoever" decided in 1991, to put in some filter caps from 1969, though :? . As I mentioned in my email, filter caps are kinda like cell phone batteries. Given the choice, one should prefer a newly minted one.

Stay positive and keep looking. The right Hiwatt will come along!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...

http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
mattoreg

Post by mattoreg »

Yep, it's sold.

Onwards and upwards. Thanks guys.

Matt
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

mattoreg wrote:Welp, I checked it out. It sounded decent, it had some funky things going on, I made an offer, but he didn't want to sell it for my offer. I decided I'd hold out for a more complete Hiwatt.

How about this one? What should I offer? This one looks quite nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
That guy lives less than 10 miles from me :roll: Ive been broke so I havent been watching and I was arrogant enough to believe I was the only hylight owner in the neighborhood. That things was a beaut and I would have stolen the dogs kidney to buy that. Damn shame
kats1

Post by kats1 »

Sorry brother, but that was me who bought it. But to be honest with you I was dealing with him before I ever saw this post. I had emailed the guy and told him that if he had posted internal shots he would get AT LEAST what he was asking for ( I was trying to be honest and even told him the year of the amp was not 1991 ) . Then 2 days later he emails me back to "take a look at the pics" so I did and noticed he dropped the price even further - I said what the hell, price was too cheap to pass up and bought it ( it's not my only dr103). I own a recording studio (empirerecording.ca), and these amps are the most used on sessions ( and bass players seem to like them as well) so I figured an extra one would be handy.

Tony
Dear tkatsabanis,

Good Afternoon, I'll Take The Back Board Off & Take Pictures, But I Will NOT Dismantle This Amp. I Was Told That It Was Original When I Got It. I'll Post Photos Tomorrow. Thank You, Keith

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:54:11 -0700
To: klstiles1@msn.com
Subject: Other: tkatsabanis sent a message about HIWATT 100 AMP CLOSET QUEEN VERY CLEAN !!! WOW #130551990248

Dear 67stiles442,

Hello, I am wondering if you could provide internal pictures showing the input & output transformers ( I'd likento know ifnthey are the original Patridges) and also of the tag board to see if the components are still original. And lastly what brand tubes isnthe head loaded with.

Thanks!

- tkatsabanis
kats1

Post by kats1 »

Here's something that makes you go hmm on this '72 I bought. Yesterday we were using it on a recording session and after about 10 minutes of loud heavy playing the mains fuse would pop. Without paying much attention I put another 3A fuse in, and then proceeded to blow that one as well. Whomever teched this amp back in '91 had marked the values under the fuse holders as 3a and 1a. So I decided to check it myself and found that those values are not for 120v operation and that they should be 6A and 3A.

I have no idea how the owner was able to run this amp for any period of time without having the same problems. I wonder if this is why he traded to the re-seller I had bought it from.

Hmmm
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

6a and 3a are for 225/245v supplies.
the amp was most likely sold originally in the UK or Europe.

DR-F
kats1

Post by kats1 »

are you sure? according to mhuss' site 6A & 3A are for 120V. 3/1 is for 240V
Dr.HI-TONE
Site Admin

Post by Dr.HI-TONE »

I typed it incorrectly..Sorry.
Still the amp was originally destined for Europe.

DR-F
thefatcyclist

Post by thefatcyclist »

I get a bit worried by screwed on Hylight plates.
kats1

Post by kats1 »

Ha! Me too, but there IS a rivet on the other side :D

Date codes all match though...
Hamtone

Post by Hamtone »

That guy has a slew of vox and that weird bass that paul mcartney played in the beattles. The guy has a ton of gear. I feel so robbed i didnt know about this guy, he literally lives 5 miles away from me. I found i had to put in lower amp slow blows in mine and have had a problem since.